RE: [TalkAntietam] 72nd PA Official Report for Antietam?

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2012
      Scott,
      Does it have to be published information? Several people from the 72nd wrote letters to the Battlefield Board. Would you be interested in that?
      Tom Clemens
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2012
        Tom, thanks for the response. Anything to do with Captain Henry A.
        Cook of Company I would be much appreciated. Later in the war, he
        commanded the 72nd, and might have participated in veterans
        organizations. That part of his life is kind of fuzzy. Scott

        On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Thomas G. Clemens
        <tgclemens@...> wrote:
        > Scott,
        > Does it have to be published information?  Several people from the 72nd wrote letters to the Battlefield Board.  Would you be interested in that?
        > Tom Clemens
        > ________________________________

        Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
        http://shaf.org/
      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
          Scott,

          I found nothing in the OR Supplement pertaining to the 72nd PA or Cook related to Antietam. I can give you the record of events for Co. I for that period but like the other companies nothing noteworthy.

          Larry

          ________________________________

          <tgclemens@...> wrote:
          > Scott,
          > Does it have to be published information?  Several people from the 72nd wrote letters to the Battlefield Board.  Would you be interested in that?
          > Tom Clemens
          > ________________________________

        • Scott D Hann
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
            Larry, thanks very much for checking.

            On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Larry Freiheit <eighth_conn_inf@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Scott,
            >
            > I found nothing in the OR Supplement pertaining to the 72nd PA or Cook
            > related to Antietam. I can give you the record of events for Co. I for that
            > period but like the other companies nothing noteworthy.
            >
            > Larry
            >

            > ________________________________

            http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

          • ScottH
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
              Larry,

              On second thought that might be useful. I'm looking at their casualties for Antietam and it looks like Company I was especially hard hit.

              Scott

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

              > Larry, thanks very much for checking.
              >
              > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Larry Freiheit <eighth_conn_inf@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Scott,
              > >
              > > I found nothing in the OR Supplement pertaining to the 72nd PA or Cook
              > > related to Antietam. I can give you the record of events for Co. I for that
              > > period but like the other companies nothing noteworthy.
              > >
              > > Larry
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Larry Freiheit
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
                Supplement, Part II, Record of Events, Vol. 60, serial No. 72, Pennsylvania--Inf. (57th-88th)

                "Station not stated, not dated.
                August 10, 1861.--Muster-in roll of Captain Henry A. Cook's Company I, in the Third Regiment (Baker's Brigade) of ennsylvania volunteers, commanded aby Colonel D. W. C. Baxter, called into the service of the United States by the President under the Act of Congress approved July 22, 1861, from August 10, 1861 (date of this muster) for the term of three years, unless sooner discharged....
                Joshua T. Owen, Colonel, Commanding Brigade, Mustering Officer.

                By authority of the War Department, Colonel Edward D. Baker having been killed in action.

                Stationed at Camp Observation, Poolesville, Maryland, August 10-December 31, 1861.

                Stationed at Harper's Ferry, [West] Virginia, January-February 1862.

                Stationed at Camp Winfield Scott, Virginia, March-April 1862.

                Stationed on the Peninsula, May-June 1862.

                Stationed at Centreville, July-August 1862.

                Stationed at camp in the field, September-October 1862.

                Stationed at camp near Falmouth, Virginia, November 1862-April 1863.

                Stationed near Uniontown, Maryland, may-June 1863."

                Etc.

                Larry

                ________________________________
                On second thought that might be useful. I'm looking at their casualties for Antietam and it looks like Company I was especially hard hit.

                Scott

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

                > Larry, thanks very much for checking.
                >
                > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Larry Freiheit <eighth_conn_inf@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Scott,
                > >
                > > I found nothing in the OR Supplement pertaining to the 72nd PA or Cook
                > > related to Antietam. I can give you the record of events for Co. I for that
                > > period but like the other companies nothing noteworthy.
                > >
                > > Larry
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • Scott D Hann
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
                  Larry,

                  Thanks very much for taking the time to send this info, especially on a
                  holiday.

                  Happy Easter,

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012