Re: [TalkAntietam] Drummer at Antietam

  • J Amico
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
      --- NJ Rebel <gerry1952@...> wrote:
      > Paula;
      >
      > IIRC, Frassanito has something about that in his
      > book on the
      > photographic legacy of Antietam. Think it was
      > Charlie King???
      >
      > Your humble servant,
      > Gerry Mayers
      > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier
      > than the field
      > on which he has nobly laid down his life."
      > --General Robert
      > Edward Lee

      Paula,
      You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
      the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
      area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
      ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
      been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

      Jason A. Amico
      Division of Archival and Records Management
      Pennsylvania State Archives
      (717)214-7430
      (717)787-4822; fax
      jamico@...

      http://games.yahoo.com/
    • Pa128th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
        In a message dated 4/24/02 9:34:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Marc73@... writes:

        Charles King indeed was the drummer boy. He died at the Smoketown Hospital if I remember correctly.

        Thank you all, I didn't think I was that crazy yet.  I knew I had that info, but couldn't find the source.

        Paula
      • Pa128th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
          In a message dated 4/24/02 10:25:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, darkpharoh@... writes:

          You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
          the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
          area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
          ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
          been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

          If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

          Thanks,

          Paula
        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002

            If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

            Thanks,

            Paula

            Hi Paula,

                Try this website.  http://www.nps.gov/anti/artily_2.htm  Scroll down to the section that says "At Antietam, Did You Know?"  Hope this helps. Good luck with your presentation.