Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Artillery at Antietam

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
      Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
      the largest rifles used.

      The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

      Dave McGowan

      On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

      > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
      > there.
      >
      > Dave Powell
      >

      > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
      >
      > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
      >
      > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2012
        Scott,

        The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
        32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
        pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
        as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
        were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

        Ian Workman