Re: [TalkAntietam] Drummer at Antietam

  • Marc73@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
      Paula,

      Charles King indeed was the drummer boy. He died at the Smoketown Hospital if I remember correctly.

      Marc Riddell
      83rd PVI-President
      2nd USSS
      Potomac Legion-President
    • J Amico
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
        --- NJ Rebel <gerry1952@...> wrote:
        > Paula;
        >
        > IIRC, Frassanito has something about that in his
        > book on the
        > photographic legacy of Antietam. Think it was
        > Charlie King???
        >
        > Your humble servant,
        > Gerry Mayers
        > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier
        > than the field
        > on which he has nobly laid down his life."
        > --General Robert
        > Edward Lee

        Paula,
        You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
        the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
        area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
        ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
        been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

        Jason A. Amico
        Division of Archival and Records Management
        Pennsylvania State Archives
        (717)214-7430
        (717)787-4822; fax
        jamico@...

        http://games.yahoo.com/
      • Pa128th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
          In a message dated 4/24/02 9:34:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Marc73@... writes:

          Charles King indeed was the drummer boy. He died at the Smoketown Hospital if I remember correctly.

          Thank you all, I didn't think I was that crazy yet.  I knew I had that info, but couldn't find the source.

          Paula
        • Pa128th@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
            In a message dated 4/24/02 10:25:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, darkpharoh@... writes:

            You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
            the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
            area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
            ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
            been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

            If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

            Thanks,

            Paula
          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002

              If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

              Thanks,

              Paula

              Hi Paula,

                  Try this website.  http://www.nps.gov/anti/artily_2.htm  Scroll down to the section that says "At Antietam, Did You Know?"  Hope this helps. Good luck with your presentation.