Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Artillery at Antietam

  • Scott D Hann
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
      I've created an album on our site if you'd like to see the photo of the
      soldier posed with his souvenir, or would like to take a shot at
      deciphering his name on the reverse.

      On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM, <DPowell334@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
      > there.
      >
      > Dave Powell
      >

      > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > tgclemens@... writes:
      >
      > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

      *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
      http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
      http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
        Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
        the largest rifles used.

        The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

        Dave McGowan

        On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

        > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
        > there.
        >
        > Dave Powell
        >

        > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
        >
        > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
        >
        > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

      • Ian Workman
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2012
          Scott,

          The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
          32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
          pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
          as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
          were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

          Ian Workman