Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Artillery at Antietam

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
      Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
      there.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

      No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
        I've created an album on our site if you'd like to see the photo of the
        soldier posed with his souvenir, or would like to take a shot at
        deciphering his name on the reverse.

        On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM, <DPowell334@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
        > there.
        >
        > Dave Powell
        >

        > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > tgclemens@... writes:
        >
        > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

        *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
        http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
          Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
          the largest rifles used.

          The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

          Dave McGowan

          On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

          > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
          > there.
          >
          > Dave Powell
          >

          > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
          >
          > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
          >
          > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Ian Workman
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2012
            Scott,

            The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
            32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
            pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
            as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
            were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

            Ian Workman