RE: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Artillery at Antietam

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30 9:19 AM
      No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30 9:24 AM
        Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
        there.

        Dave Powell

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30 9:37 AM
          I've created an album on our site if you'd like to see the photo of the
          soldier posed with his souvenir, or would like to take a shot at
          deciphering his name on the reverse.

          On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM, <DPowell334@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
          > there.
          >
          > Dave Powell
          >

          > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > tgclemens@... writes:
          >
          > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

          *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
          http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
          http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30 9:47 AM
            Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
            the largest rifles used.

            The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

            Dave McGowan

            On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

            > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
            > there.
            >
            > Dave Powell
            >

            > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
            >
            > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
            >
            > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Ian Workman
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31 8:39 PM
              Scott,

              The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
              32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
              pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
              as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
              were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

              Ian Workman