Re: Confederate Artillery at Antietam

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30 8:55 AM
      Glad to have helped, Scott. On a related note, a few years ago I stopped by the South Mountain VC and Al Preston showed me a displayed 24-pdr shell that was recovered near Turner's or Fox's Gap.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > You are the man! Recently I bought a CDV taken in Baltimore of a Federal
      > sergeant with a 24 lb. Confederate cannonball at his feet. The soldier's
      > name on the back of the carte is indistinguishable. However, I wondered if
      > there was any possibility of it being a relic from the Maryland Campaign.
      > Now I have my answer.
      >
      > Thanks so much for the trouble
      >
      > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM, cowie_steve <cowie_steve@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi, Scott.
      > >
      > > Per the AOTW site, the Madison Light Artillery (LA) and Rowan (NC)
      > > Artillery were equipped with 24-pdr. Howitzers.
      > >
      > > Steve
      > >
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "ScottH" <sdhann@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Do any of our members know of Confederate (or Union) batteries that
      > > fired 24 lb. rounds during the Maryland Campaign? I know the Federals had
      > > 20 lb. batteries across the Antietam. I'm well aware of Confederate
      > > batteries firing 6, 10 and 12 pound shot. Thanks for your assistance.
      > > >

      > --
      > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
      > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
      > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30 9:19 AM
        No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30 9:24 AM
          Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
          there.

          Dave Powell

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30 9:37 AM
            I've created an album on our site if you'd like to see the photo of the
            soldier posed with his souvenir, or would like to take a shot at
            deciphering his name on the reverse.

            On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM, <DPowell334@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
            > there.
            >
            > Dave Powell
            >

            > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            > tgclemens@... writes:
            >
            > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30 9:47 AM
              Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
              the largest rifles used.

              The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

              Dave McGowan

              On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

              > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
              > there.
              >
              > Dave Powell
              >

              > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
              >
              > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
              >
              > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Ian Workman
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31 8:39 PM
                Scott,

                The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
                32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
                pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
                as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
                were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

                Ian Workman