RE: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Artillery at Antietam

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
      Good question. I always thought (and heard) that McClellan also had 30 lb Parrot rifled artillery on the ridges along Elk Ridge in addition to the 20lb Parrot rifles. Is this true? And if so, would they have fired 24 lb shot?

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
        Hi, Scott.

        Per the AOTW site, the Madison Light Artillery (LA) and Rowan (NC) Artillery were equipped with 24-pdr. Howitzers.

        Steve

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "ScottH" <sdhann@...> wrote:

        > Do any of our members know of Confederate (or Union) batteries that fired 24 lb. rounds during the Maryland Campaign? I know the Federals had 20 lb. batteries across the Antietam. I'm well aware of Confederate batteries firing 6, 10 and 12 pound shot. Thanks for your assistance.

      • Scott D Hann
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
          Steve,

          You are the man! Recently I bought a CDV taken in Baltimore of a Federal
          sergeant with a 24 lb. Confederate cannonball at his feet. The soldier's
          name on the back of the carte is indistinguishable. However, I wondered if
          there was any possibility of it being a relic from the Maryland Campaign.
          Now I have my answer.

          Thanks so much for the trouble

          --
          *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
          http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm

        • cowie_steve
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
            Glad to have helped, Scott. On a related note, a few years ago I stopped by the South Mountain VC and Al Preston showed me a displayed 24-pdr shell that was recovered near Turner's or Fox's Gap.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > You are the man! Recently I bought a CDV taken in Baltimore of a Federal
            > sergeant with a 24 lb. Confederate cannonball at his feet. The soldier's
            > name on the back of the carte is indistinguishable. However, I wondered if
            > there was any possibility of it being a relic from the Maryland Campaign.
            > Now I have my answer.
            >
            > Thanks so much for the trouble
            >
            > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM, cowie_steve <cowie_steve@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi, Scott.
            > >
            > > Per the AOTW site, the Madison Light Artillery (LA) and Rowan (NC)
            > > Artillery were equipped with 24-pdr. Howitzers.
            > >
            > > Steve
            > >
            > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "ScottH" <sdhann@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Do any of our members know of Confederate (or Union) batteries that
            > > fired 24 lb. rounds during the Maryland Campaign? I know the Federals had
            > > 20 lb. batteries across the Antietam. I'm well aware of Confederate
            > > batteries firing 6, 10 and 12 pound shot. Thanks for your assistance.
            > > >

            > --
            > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
            > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
            > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

          • Thomas G. Clemens
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
              No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

            • DPowell334@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
                Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
                there.

                Dave Powell

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
                  I've created an album on our site if you'd like to see the photo of the
                  soldier posed with his souvenir, or would like to take a shot at
                  deciphering his name on the reverse.

                  On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM, <DPowell334@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
                  > there.
                  >
                  > Dave Powell
                  >

                  > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  > tgclemens@... writes:
                  >
                  > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 30, 2012
                    Tom is correct. There were no 30 Lb Parrots on either side. 20 Lb were
                    the largest rifles used.

                    The 30 is a monster, 4500 lb tube. We just cast a replica at our foundry.

                    Dave McGowan

                    On 3/30/2012 12:24 PM, DPowell334@... wrote:

                    > Maybe 4.5 inch rifles? I seem to recall the AOP having one such battery
                    > there.
                    >
                    > Dave Powell
                    >

                    > In a message dated 3/30/2012 11:19:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    > tgclemens@... <mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu> writes:
                    >
                    > No 30 pdr. Parrotts in either army. And nothing on Elk Ridge.
                    >
                    > From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • Ian Workman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2012
                      Scott,

                      The largest spherical shells used during the Maryland Campaign were the
                      32lbers. There was only one battery that had them. I have found a few
                      pieces on the Shepherdstown Battlefield towards the western side. It looks
                      as though they were firing from Ferry Hill. The closest 30lb Parrott guns
                      were on Maryland Heights overlooking Harper's Ferry.

                      Ian Workman