Re: [TalkAntietam] Rev. Long

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
      Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

      From: Harry
      Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:20 AM
      To: Talk Antietam
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Rev. Long

      Does anyone happen to know where Rev. Long of the Dunker Church lived at the time of the battle?

      Harry

    • colliszouave@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
        Harry,

        Not very specific, but I've read that he lived northwest of the church, not very far away.

        Mike Peters

        From: "Harry" <hjs21@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:05:21
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Does anyone happen to know where Rev. Long of the Dunker Church lived at the time of the battle?

        Harry

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
          Maybe try John Frye at the library?

          ________________________________
          Does anyone happen to know where Rev. Long of the Dunker Church lived at the time of the battle?

          Harry

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
            I am surprised Steve Recer has not chimed in as I thought he might know. I will ask John Schildt, who does not subscribe to this list. My guess is that since so many of the Dunkers fled to the Manor Church north & west of Sharpsburg I suspect Long might have lived near there and served both congregations. Just a guess.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            Does anyone happen to know where Rev. Long of the Dunker Church lived at the time of the battle?

            Harry

          • cowie_steve
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
              Harry,

              Here's some information that places David's Long's 1862 residence northwest of Sharpsburg near St. James. It's not specific, but may give you some leads. This info was found at:

              http://prweb0.voicenet.com/~pmargush/longdl00.htm

              "Elder Long lived some little distance north west of the Sharpsburg church, and mainly west of the manor. His farm home was along Saint James run, approximately one mile as the crow would fly south of Saint James, or two miles by the present road. He had some little distance to drive that September morning [9/14/1862], but as this was the customary way of travel, thought little of it...The Longs took title to some 200 acres in 1831. It was a part of the Conococheague Manor, a tract owned by General Samuel Ringold. He had owned over a thousand acres and had built three large manor houses. One was built where the St. James School now stands. The original burned in 1926, leaving only the front entrance standing. One was built on the farm now known as the Beckley farm, on the Sharpsburg Pike, and one started upon the farm now owned by J. C. Corwell just up on the hill from the old Long farm. This last house was started by Samuel Ringgold for his daughter, but her untimely death caused the abandonment of the project. It was completed by others. It was on this farm that John Reichard, a relative and close neighbor, lived while David Long was living on his adjoining farm."

            • RoteBaron@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 22, 2012
                The folowing website contains a photo labeled "The David Long Home"

                http://rockhay.tripod.com/peace/dunkerchurch/ankrum/preacher.htm

                It also states:

                The Longs took title to about two hundred acres of land; it was part of the Conococheague Manor, a tract owned by General Samuel Ringgold. Their home was like the average home of that day - built to accommodate both family and guests, for all of whom there was ample room. Many were the Brethren who were entertained in the Long home. During the battle of Antietam this house was within range of both armies; although the soldiers tramped over the farm, damaging it as they went, little damage was done to the house. One day a cannon ball penetrated the east wall of it. As this sketch is being written the owners of the Long farm are Mr. and Mrs. Charles Shaw.

                Tom Shay - Cressona, PA