Antietam to be re-enacted twice in Sept 2012

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2011
      Two re-enactments of Battle of Antietam are planned — on back-to-back weekends in September 2012.

      Read the story at:

      http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-battle-of-antietam-to-be-reenacted-twice-in-september-2012-20111207,0,1047752.story

    • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2011
        It is interesting, isn't it?

        In watching the video, I am amused to hear claims of "thousands of
        reenactors" at these events. The hobby just is simply not that large anymore.
        Plus the 2nd one which involves some of the people that put on the yearly
        Gettysburg event, is going to be the same weekend that the NPS is planning
        on their observance of the battle. In fact there is going to be 3
        observances of the anniversary of the battle.

        I know of some who have committed to the NPS event, and a few will go
        to the first reenactment, (Maryland My Maryland) and stay around for the
        NPS. I also know of 5 large Federal reenactment organizations, plus possibly
        some parts of others, that will be at MMM. Not to mention the CSA forces
        that have committed to it.

        And, a few weeks afterwards, there is the 150th Vicksburg Campaign in
        Mississippi, which most of the western groups will be supporting. Plus the
        150th Perryville is the first week in October..............................

        So all the potential forces that have been at the larger Antietam
        reenactments in years past are splitting up, or are just not reenacting the Civil
        War any longer. There will not be "thousands of reenactors" at any of
        these. We could very well get over 2000 for MMM but that will be the largest of
        the three.

        But this is not so unusal, there are actually two Shiloh events this
        March/April, both on the same weekend, and just down the road from each other.

        Yep, it is certainly interesting, and a bit amusing.
        Mike Lavis

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2011
          Mike,

          I saw in the newspaper article the mention of Chris;s event but the story was incomplete. Is Chris's event the weekend before? If so, it could be Labor Day weekend (possibly).

          What is MMM?

          BTW I did contact Chris directly as per your earlier suggestion but have not yet heard back from him either way. Can you check in with him and ask him to respond soon to my note? I ask because I will need to submit the information on the event to my Civil War4 Heritage Foundation living history group for their 2012 schedule for insurance coverage.

          Thanks for the information; as to your comment on the CW reenacting community not being as large, that might be debatable. What can be agreed upon is the growth in smaller, more regional events than were happening ten to fifteen years ago.

          A Yankee by Birth but a Rebel by Choice!

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2011
            Gary:

            Sure thing, I'll mention it to him when he responds to my last e-mail.
            I might even get down there (I live near Buffalo, NY) this weekend to look
            at the event site.

            Our event is the weekend after Labor Day, Sept 8-9th. Labor Day is on
            the 3rd next year, a lot get confused by that.

            MMM stands for Maryland My Maryland much easier to just use MMM each
            time. Plus we are doing some of South Mountain as well as Antietam.

            The actual numbers of reenactors has been a topic of discussion and
            debate for a few years now. At the Blue Gray Alliance meeting in St. Louis
            last January the subject came up once again.

            The general consensus there, considering the numbers at national,
            regional, and local events, plus the economy, was estimated at about 12000 for
            the Civil War all told.
            Now, there is no way to know for sure, but here is some food for thought:

            Most of the current Blue Gray Alliance leadership was around for much of
            the 125th cycle of events that started the major reenacting push. Gettysburg
            (of course) was the focal point. At the 125th GB, there was, for the first
            time, 10,000 reenactors in attendance.
            If memory serves, that mark was not hit again until the 130th
            Gettysburg, and the influx of new members that was spurred on by the Ken Burns
            series, and the movie "Glory" which happened about the same time.
            The reenacting hobby grew steadily, until the 135th Antietam, which saw
            close to 15,000, and the 135th Gettysburg that had close to 30,000 reenactors.

            Those were the high points, but getting 3000-5000 at events like Cedar
            Creek, Franklin, and others was a common occurrence for the next few years.

            At the afore mentioned St. Louis meeting, we all agreed that last year's
            1st Manassas would be a good indication of how large the hobby actually was
            anymore, since nearly every large organization was gong to be there, east
            and west.
            That event started out advertising 15,000 would be there, and they were
            going to cut if off at that number.
            But as registrations didn't pour in, that number was reduced to 12,000
            cut-off. And realistically the site was too small for even that number.

            However, the number of registered came in something like 8000. I do not
            have the exact figure, but that is what I was told, and the returns from
            the morning reports on Sat. were close to that. I got that 2nd hand from the
            commander of our brigade. But looking at the field, and comparing the
            numbers from our battalion, to the size of the others, it is a very reasonable
            estimate.

            Also organizations that used to have 200-300 in their regiments now
            only regularly bring close to 120 for the major events, and this is general
            all across the country.

            So, the actual results from the 1st large 150th anniversary event seem to
            bear out the 12000 estimate. It could be a bit higher, people are unable to
            travel across the country like they used to, and many (like me) have lost
            their jobs, so the money and vacation time is no longer there. But then
            again if these others are not making the long trips anymore, then they will not
            be at the main 150th events anyway, so the 12000 number still seems to fit.

            Sorry to go on so long, but there is no simple way to explain what many
            think is the condition of the hobby anymore. It is a good discussion, and I'd
            like to hear why others think it is much higher.

            Mike L

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2011
              Mike;

              Great points all told in your response! Thanks for checking in with Chris. My living history organization (Civil War Heritage Foundation) members may go with the mainstream one (the one for September 14-16) as I sent to some of the members who live locally near me (greater Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley PA metro areas) information on it. This small group, which all belongs to CWHF, comprise Longstreet's HQ in the field.

              I do not think the members could do both events back to back, so we will have to see what Chris sends in the way of information etc.

              As to the reason many reenactors do not make the oft-termed "mega" events, I think you hit it on the head re the economy. People like yourselves (and people like me who changed jobs and could only find part time work) have larger problems with finances etc so the availability of being able to attend longer events is not there.

              Feel free to contact me directly on my regular email in the future re MMM rather than through the Talk Antietam board to save bandwidth.

            • 128thpa@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                Congrats to Gerry who was named Volunteer of the Year by the Bucks County CWRT.  Well deserved.

                Paula

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                  Paula;

                  Thank you. How did you know of it?

                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                    I get the newsletter.  I am a  member, I just haven't been able to make meetings because of school or other obligations I have.

                    Happy Holidays to everyone.

                    Paula

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                      Congratulations Gerry.

                      > Paula;
                      >
                      > Thank you. How did you know of it?
                      >
                      > Gerry

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011
                        Same here, way to go Gerry. Volunteers are the best!

                        Dave McGowan

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012
                          Mike,

                          I still have not yet heard back from Chris Anders. Am wondering if you have more information for me on the MMM event? Anything you can provide me with, especially a website or contact information, that I can put in to the Executive Committee of the Civil War Heritage Foundation for the 2012 Schedule will be greatly appreciated.

                          Thanks for your help!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2012
                            Gerry:

                            Chris has been very busy with outside concerns, both holiday related
                            and otherwise. Here is the web-site address
                            _Maryland My Maryland :: Reenactment_ (http://www.marylandmymaryland.org/)

                            You can most likely get ahold of someone that way. I know they approved
                            at least one female reenactor who applied through it. I have two messages
                            concerning the Federal side of things on there as well, with more coming.

                            sincerely
                            Mike Lavis

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2012
                              Mike;

                              Thanks for the help. I just found out the mainstream 150th reenactment already has a Longstreet lined up so I do not want our particular living history group which has a Longstreet to get in the middle of something that could be "difficult".

                              Feel free to email me directly in the future about the MMM event.