Drummer at Antietam

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2002
      I am giving a presentation at my school on Friday, and one of the topics is Children in the CW.  I got it in my head that a drummer boy was killed at Antietam, but I could very well be confusing this with something else.  Can anyone help me out?

      Thanks!

      Paula
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2002
        Paula,

        That would be Charles E. King, age 12 years when he
        enlisted. Frassanito has the story in his Antietam
        book, page 192.

        TRL

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2002
          Paula;

          IIRC, Frassanito has something about that in his book on the
          photographic legacy of Antietam. Think it was Charlie King???

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

        • Marc73@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
            Paula,

            Charles King indeed was the drummer boy. He died at the Smoketown Hospital if I remember correctly.

            Marc Riddell
            83rd PVI-President
            2nd USSS
            Potomac Legion-President
          • J Amico
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
              --- NJ Rebel <gerry1952@...> wrote:
              > Paula;
              >
              > IIRC, Frassanito has something about that in his
              > book on the
              > photographic legacy of Antietam. Think it was
              > Charlie King???
              >
              > Your humble servant,
              > Gerry Mayers
              > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier
              > than the field
              > on which he has nobly laid down his life."
              > --General Robert
              > Edward Lee

              Paula,
              You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
              the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
              area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
              ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
              been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

              Jason A. Amico
              Division of Archival and Records Management
              Pennsylvania State Archives
              (717)214-7430
              (717)787-4822; fax
              jamico@...

              http://games.yahoo.com/
            • Pa128th@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
                In a message dated 4/24/02 9:34:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Marc73@... writes:

                Charles King indeed was the drummer boy. He died at the Smoketown Hospital if I remember correctly.

                Thank you all, I didn't think I was that crazy yet.  I knew I had that info, but couldn't find the source.

                Paula
              • Pa128th@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002
                  In a message dated 4/24/02 10:25:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, darkpharoh@... writes:

                  You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe won
                  the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in the
                  area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the Conf.
                  ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
                  been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

                  If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

                  Thanks,

                  Paula
                • Teej Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 24, 2002

                    If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it to my presentation.

                    Thanks,

                    Paula

                    Hi Paula,

                        Try this website.  http://www.nps.gov/anti/artily_2.htm  Scroll down to the section that says "At Antietam, Did You Know?"  Hope this helps. Good luck with your presentation.