War Dept. Document

  • Bley
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
      A number of years ago while I was loitering at the National Archives I came across a document entitled, Tactical Formations of Lesser Units... The document is really nothing more than a compilation of reports from unit commanders, both north and south. The requirement seemed to be that the report described deployment/formations of the unit being written about. Much of it is dry or bombastic but I did find some interesting descriptions of brigade deployments. A small part of the document is related to the 1862 Maryland Campaign.

      I only mention this because I recently re-discovered the papers. If any of you have an interest I would happily post it in the files section. Otherwise, I'll let it lie.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
        Please post for the benefit of the board.

        A Yankee by Birth but a Rebel by Choice!

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
          I'd like to see it.

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
            I would be interested also.

            Thanks,

            Paula

          • DPowell334@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
              I am always interested in tactical stuff. I'd like to see it.

              Dave

              I'd like to see it.

            • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
                As a reenactor who is always striving to learn more, and "get it right" I'd
                love to see them, and maybe arrange for you to send a copy to me, at my
                expense, of course.

                Mike Lavis

              • Bley
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                  I posted the document this morning in the Files section.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                    This is great stuff !!

                    I have been given the honor to be the Federal Commander for the 150th
                    Antietam reenactment next September, and this will be a very valuable reference.

                    Thank you
                    Mike Lavis

                    --- In _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                      Mike,

                      What is the event website? Do the event planners plan to allow living
                      historians to participate as well?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                        You are quite welcome. I'm glad I could help.

                      • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                          Gary:

                          _Click here: Maryland My Maryland - Reenactment of The Battles of South
                          Mountain & Antietam_ (http://marylandmymaryland.marylandcampaign150.org/)

                          Here is the link. After Ball's Bluff in a couple weeks the site will begin
                          to have a lot more on it.

                          I believe there will be some Living History participation, but it will most
                          likely be on a case-by case decision. For instance do not expect to see
                          Gen Grant in MD in 1862.
                          I'll check to see how it will be handled.

                          Mike L

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                            Mike;

                            Thanks. I belong to the Civil War Heritage Foundation. One of the members
                            portrays General Longstreet; I portray one of his inner circle of staff
                            officers. The member who portrays Longstreet might be very interested in an
                            opportunity to portray the general at your event.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 7, 2011
                              Gerry:

                              You (or the General) would need to send a letter to Chris Anders about
                              it, and he'll take it from there. He has someone coordinating the Living
                              History portrayals and they will work with you from there.
                              _ltcolcsa@..._ (mailto:ltcolcsa@...) When you write to him, tell him I
                              referred you.

                              Our events are very history-heavy, and things that do not fit the time
                              and place are not included. That being said, there is usually room for
                              discussion, and making something work.

                              My Respects
                              Mike Lavis

                              __blink88@..._ (mailto:_blink88@...) _

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 7, 2011
                                Mike;

                                Thank you. Would you mind an email to Chris Anders beforehand, as a way of
                                introduction? Also, should I wait until after the Ball's Bluff event to send
                                that email you mentioned below to him?