RE: [TalkAntietam] Question re Width of Hagerstown Turnpike

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
      Yes, much wider. SHAF looked into paying to restore a portion of the road to its original look, narrow, with fences on immediate shoulders of the road, but it is still a state road and MDOT will not allow it. Envision a road about 12 - 15 feet across with fences on both sides. A very narrow, confining space, and the fences too strongly built to be disassembled or knocked down. The photos bear witness that they resisted destruction, and several veterans' letters mention it too.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
        Tom;

        Good info. The famous photo by Gardner of Starke's Louisiana boys
        lying dead behind one side of the pike fences does show how
        strong they were.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4 6:53 AM

          I see that Carlisle's Army Heritage Trail recreated part of the CW Hagerstown Turnpike among other things:

          http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/AHM/heritage.cfm

          I have not been there so I don't know how wide the rebuilt pike is shown.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4 1:45 PM
            Interesting! Maybe some others on the board have been there and can comment
            further?