Re: [TalkAntietam] 2012 150th Anniversary Info

  • troyacool@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 9:30 AM
      Larry,
      There would be a program at HF Sat the 15th, then the plan for the walk would be to leave HF 7:30 am and follow the most common route up to Shepherdstown and across. (River crossing a possibility but unlikely). I believe another group is planning programs at Antietam and I hope to coordinate with them. Like your route but think this one is shorter

      From: Larry Freiheit <eighth_conn_inf@...>
      Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:14:18
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] 2012 150th Anniversary Info

      Troy,

      A great idea. Would this be a one-day walk from HF to Antietam on either the 15th or 16th? Perhaps it would be interesting, but not logistically easy, to trace the route of the cavalry escape column from HF to Sharpsburg on the 14th-15th Sept. 1862--today the route would be across the RR bridge to HF-Sharpsburg Rd, Limekiln Rd, HF Rd to Sharpsburg square, then ending at the VC, even though the route from Sharpsburg probably did not include much, if any, of the Hagerstown Pike.

      My guess is that it is easier/safer for the walk to be mostly on the C&O towpath.

      Larry

      From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
      Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:48:40
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] 2012 150th Anniversary Info

      Sept. 17th, 2012, is on Monday. Are the NPS/SHAF/Sharpsburg activities going to be held primarily on that weekend, the 15th-16th, with related activities on the 17th?

      I've read that on September 8 - 9, 2012, the Southern Division in conjunction with the Hagerstown-Washington County Visitors Bureau will be hosting "Maryland, My Maryland", a reenactment on private land of the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam, commemorating the 150th Anniversary. I guess that is a separate event?

      http://www.marylandcampaign150.org/Reenactment.html