RE: [TalkAntietam] Question re Width of Hagerstown Turnpike

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
      Thanks Tom! Dave McGowan shared some photos taken in the early 20th or very
      late 19th century which gave me an idea of overall width of road. I would
      imagine the present day road bed which passes by the Visitor Center is wider
      than the original was? Same for width of span from fence to fence?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
        Yes, much wider. SHAF looked into paying to restore a portion of the road to its original look, narrow, with fences on immediate shoulders of the road, but it is still a state road and MDOT will not allow it. Envision a road about 12 - 15 feet across with fences on both sides. A very narrow, confining space, and the fences too strongly built to be disassembled or knocked down. The photos bear witness that they resisted destruction, and several veterans' letters mention it too.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
          Tom;

          Good info. The famous photo by Gardner of Starke's Louisiana boys
          lying dead behind one side of the pike fences does show how
          strong they were.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011

            I see that Carlisle's Army Heritage Trail recreated part of the CW Hagerstown Turnpike among other things:

            http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/AHM/heritage.cfm

            I have not been there so I don't know how wide the rebuilt pike is shown.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
              Interesting! Maybe some others on the board have been there and can comment
              further?