RE: [TalkAntietam] 2012 150th Anniversary Info

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
      Larry;

      As a reenactor and living historian, I would have to say YES! I think the
      head of the Southern Division is Chris Anders....who coordinated the very
      small Sharpsburg 145 event held near Boonsborough and which was totally
      (IIRC) campaign style and a very limited amount of reenactors allowed to
      register and a very small spectator registration allowed as well.

      Maybe Tom Clemens can provide more info on this one? Tom Shay might be able
      to confirm your question re ABNP.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
        Larry,
        I am negotiating a preservation walk from Harper's Ferry to Antietam with the parks. HF is commemorating the surrender that weekend and the walk would include reenactors and the general public, starting from there and proceeding to Antietam. Both parks have tentatively approved the event and the logistics are creeping along.
        The idea is to raise money and awareness of preservation efforts at Antietam, C&O, Shepherdstown, and Harper's Ferry.
        Troy

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:48:40
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

        Sept. 17th, 2012, is on Monday. Are the NPS/SHAF/Sharpsburg activities going to be held primarily on that weekend, the 15th-16th, with related activities on the 17th?

        I've read that on September 8 - 9, 2012, the Southern Division in conjunction with the Hagerstown-Washington County Visitors Bureau will be hosting "Maryland, My Maryland", a reenactment on private land of the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam, commemorating the 150th Anniversary. I guess that is a separate event?

        http://www.marylandcampaign150.org/Reenactment.html

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
          Troy,

          A great idea. Would this be a one-day walk from HF to Antietam on either the 15th or 16th? Perhaps it would be interesting, but not logistically easy, to trace the route of the cavalry escape column from HF to Sharpsburg on the 14th-15th Sept. 1862--today the route would be across the RR bridge to HF-Sharpsburg Rd, Limekiln Rd, HF Rd to Sharpsburg square, then ending at the VC, even though the route from Sharpsburg probably did not include much, if any, of the Hagerstown Pike.

          My guess is that it is easier/safer for the walk to be mostly on the C&O towpath.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
            Larry,
            There would be a program at HF Sat the 15th, then the plan for the walk would be to leave HF 7:30 am and follow the most common route up to Shepherdstown and across. (River crossing a possibility but unlikely). I believe another group is planning programs at Antietam and I hope to coordinate with them. Like your route but think this one is shorter

            From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
            Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:48:40
            To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>