Question re Width of Hagerstown Turnpike

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2011
      Gang,

      The other evening while reading the chapter on Antietam in Ed
      Bears's book "Fields of Honor", it occurred to me that rarely do
      you see anything indicated in the literature as to the actual
      width (fence to fence) of the Hagerstown Turnpike in September
      1862. You see photos showing the Turnpike, most notably the dead
      of Starke's Louisiana Brigade, taken on September 19th by
      Alexander Gardner, and the six rail fences that bordered each
      side in the literature but nothing about the actual width.

      So my question becomes, How wide was the Turnpike actually? Could
      two wagons pass each other north to south or was the road space
      only about a wagon width wide? Could a column of infantry massed
      eight across have marched on the pike or would a traditional
      column of four been best?

      Thanks for the help!

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2011
        It was pretty narrow. Two wagons could pass, but not much more. The fences were close, much closer that the way they have it now. They fenced it keep out animals as muh as to restrict usage.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
          Thanks Tom! Dave McGowan shared some photos taken in the early 20th or very
          late 19th century which gave me an idea of overall width of road. I would
          imagine the present day road bed which passes by the Visitor Center is wider
          than the original was? Same for width of span from fence to fence?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
            Yes, much wider. SHAF looked into paying to restore a portion of the road to its original look, narrow, with fences on immediate shoulders of the road, but it is still a state road and MDOT will not allow it. Envision a road about 12 - 15 feet across with fences on both sides. A very narrow, confining space, and the fences too strongly built to be disassembled or knocked down. The photos bear witness that they resisted destruction, and several veterans' letters mention it too.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
              Tom;

              Good info. The famous photo by Gardner of Starke's Louisiana boys
              lying dead behind one side of the pike fences does show how
              strong they were.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4 6:53 AM

                I see that Carlisle's Army Heritage Trail recreated part of the CW Hagerstown Turnpike among other things:

                http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/AHM/heritage.cfm

                I have not been there so I don't know how wide the rebuilt pike is shown.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4 1:45 PM
                  Interesting! Maybe some others on the board have been there and can comment
                  further?