Piper Farm Trail News

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2011
      I recently heard from a park worker that the Piper Lane trail will probably not be completed to Bloody Lane (Richardson Ave.) before the 150th because that area is used by livestock. Apparently fencing them out but still giving access to fields on both sides of the trail will not be easy.

      Too bad.

      Work is progressing on a trail from the Newcomer House, however, leading up to the ridge where Union horse artillery was located on 17 September. It will be complete with picnic tables from what I was told.

      Any news on the new trail sponsored by SHAF up to the NY/Conn. monuments near HF Road? Weather has been a bit warm to do heavy outside work.
      Larry
    • Matt Reardon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2011
        Will the trail to the 8th CT/ 9th NY monuments follow a route from the Lower Bridge towards the Harpers Ferry road?

        Matt

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2011
          Matt,

          Tom Clemens, SHAF's president, will have the details but SHAF'S June 2011 newsletter said that the plan is to have a walking trail branching off the Final Attack Trail up the hill across the Ninth Corps assault field to connect with the paved path leading to the 9th NY and 8th CT monuments. The Oct. 29th workday will involve this new trail. I don't know if any work has been done on this trail yet but I do know from my stints at the Newcomer House that the trail from there is in progress.

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Matt Reardon <mreardon1862@...> wrote:

          > Will the trail to the 8th CT/ 9th NY monuments follow a route from the Lower Bridge towards the Harpers Ferry road?
          >
          > Matt

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2011
            Thanks Larry. Correct, nothing started yet. Ed Wenshhof, the Acting Supt. agreed to reserve it for us. SHAF is also paying for all expenses related to its construction.