Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
      Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
      They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
      covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
      obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
      good quality, well worth downloading.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
        Dave,

        I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
        Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
        couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
        Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
        Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

        When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
        found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
        might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

        What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
        the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
        was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
        include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
        dwelling in September 1862.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
          Everyone

          Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

          Jim