Two Questions

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2001
      maybe someone out there can help me on these:

      1. Were there any Indiana troops at Antietam and if so which? What roles
      did they play?

      2. Currently doing research on Confederate Religion and was wondering if
      anyone knows about the Chaplain's involvement at Antietam. In the back of
      J.C. Romero's book "Religion in the Rebel Ranks" he lists the various
      chaplains attacked to the different troops. Are there any diaries of their
      involvement there and what role did they play?

      Thanks

      Ray
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2001
        Ray,
        Off hand these come to mind:
        1. 3rd Indiana Cavalry, very active in pursuit of Stuart's cav 9/5 to 9/13,
        including the skirmishes at Pooleville, Barnes ville and Quebec School House.
        2. 14th Indiana - French's Division attacked SUnken Road and has a monument in
        front of it.
        3. 27th Indiana in Twelfth Corps fought in cornfield and pasture below it.
        4. 19th Indiana, in Gibbon's Brigade, fought west of hagerstown Pike and very
        successful.
        Quick thoughts, hope it helps.

        Ray Ortensie wrote:

        > maybe someone out there can help me on these:
        >
        > 1. Were there any Indiana troops at Antietam and if so which? What roles
        > did they play?
        >
        > 2. Currently doing research on Confederate Religion and was wondering if
        > anyone knows about the Chaplain's involvement at Antietam. In the back of
        > J.C. Romero's book "Religion in the Rebel Ranks" he lists the various
        > chaplains attacked to the different troops. Are there any diaries of their
        > involvement there and what role did they play?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ray

      • Ray Ortensie
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2001

          Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
          seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
          great state had a cavalry in the CW.

          Ray
        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2001
            Very effective, they scouted the advance for Franklin, fought at Poolesville, and harried the Confederate cavalry. With parts of the 8th Ill they
            fought at Quebec Schoolhouse, and suffered loss, but gave as good as they got. A hard-riding competent bunch from what I can see.

            Ray Ortensie wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
            > seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
            > great state had a cavalry in the CW.
            >
            > Ray

          • John Priest
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2001
              Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
              about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
              Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....

              Mike Priest

              >1. 3rd Indiana Cavalry, very active in pursuit of Stuart's cav 9/5 to 9/13,
              >including the skirmishes at Pooleville, Barnes ville and Quebec School
              House.
              >2. 14th Indiana - French's Division attacked SUnken Road and has a monument
              in
              >front of it.
              >3. 27th Indiana in Twelfth Corps fought in cornfield and pasture below it.
              >4. 19th Indiana, in Gibbon's Brigade, fought west of hagerstown Pike and
              very
              >successful.
              >Quick thoughts, hope it helps.
              >

              >Ray Ortensie wrote:
              >
              >> maybe someone out there can help me on these:
              >>
              >> 1. Were there any Indiana troops at Antietam and if so which? What
              roles
              >> did they play?
              >>
              >> 2. Currently doing research on Confederate Religion and was wondering if
              >> anyone knows about the Chaplain's involvement at Antietam. In the back
              of
              >> J.C. Romero's book "Religion in the Rebel Ranks" he lists the various
              >> chaplains attacked to the different troops. Are there any diaries of
              their
              >> involvement there and what role did they play?
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >>
              >> Ray

            • John Priest
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                Ray

                My book Before Antietam: The Battle for South Maountain documanets every
                cavalty action from september 5, 1862 - September 15 1862. The National
                Tribune also has some great articles in it about the 3rd IN Cav.

                Mike Priest
                >Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
                >seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
                >great state had a cavalry in the CW.
                >
                >Ray

              • Ray Ortensie
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                  Thanks Mike for the help.

                  Ray

                  > Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
                  > about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
                  > Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....
                  >

                  > Mike Priest

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Ray Ortensie
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                    Mike:

                    Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996 book?
                    Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                    it sent in thru inter-library loan.

                    Ray
                  • John Priest
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                      The 1996 is the Oxford University Press Paperback. The 1994 is the white
                      Mane hard cover.

                      Mike Priest
                      >Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996
                      book?
                      >Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                      >it sent in thru inter-library loan.
                      >
                      >Ray

                    • Ray Ortensie
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                        Thanks for the info. Have the library looking for a copy for me.

                        Ray