Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
      Two episodes are online at:

      http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

      From: "Dave" <gewehr@...>
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 4, 2011 9:44:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

      There were 10 episodes, and I think the host said the Otto house was the
      last one, they were downloaded directly from their website. Worst comes
      to worst, let me know and I'll burn and mail them all to you. My wife
      really likes the houses and the civilian stories, she's working on a
      genealogy of the Clipps now, of the Clipp house fame, it's an ongoing
      project to prove how large the Clipp house was during the battle. Long
      story.

      Dave

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
        Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
        thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
        convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
        house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
        down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
        There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
        house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
        in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
        family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
        find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
        (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
        histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
        against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
        area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

        But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

        Dave
        (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

        On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Dave;
        >
        > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
        > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
        > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
        > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
        > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
        > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
        >
        > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
        > structure.
        >
        > Hope this helps??????
        >
        > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
          Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
          They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
          covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
          obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
          good quality, well worth downloading.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
            Dave,

            I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
            Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
            couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
            Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
            Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

            When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
            found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
            might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

            What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
            the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
            was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
            include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
            dwelling in September 1862.

            Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
            thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
            convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
            house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
            down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
            There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
            house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
            in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
            family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
            find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
            (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
            histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
            against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
            area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

            But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

            Dave
            (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

            On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Dave;
            >
            > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
            > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
            > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
            > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
            > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
            > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
            >
            > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
            > structure.
            >
            > Hope this helps??????
            >
            > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

          • Jim Rosebrock
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
              Everyone

              Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

              Jim