RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
      Dave;

      Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
      on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
      House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
      space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
      rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
      from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.

      My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
      structure.

      Hope this helps??????

      PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
        Two episodes are online at:

        http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
          Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
          thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
          convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
          house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
          down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
          There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
          house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
          in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
          family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
          find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
          (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
          histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
          against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
          area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

          But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

          Dave
          (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
            Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
            They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
            covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
            obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
            good quality, well worth downloading.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
              Dave,

              I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
              Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
              couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
              Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
              Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

              When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
              found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
              might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

              What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
              the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
              was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
              include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
              dwelling in September 1862.

              Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
              thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
              convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
              house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
              down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
              There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
              house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
              in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
              family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
              find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
              (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
              histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
              against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
              area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

              But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

              Dave
              (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

              On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > Dave;
              >
              > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
              > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
              > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
              > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
              > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
              > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
              >
              > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
              > structure.
              >
              > Hope this helps??????
              >
              > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

            • Jim Rosebrock
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                Everyone

                Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

                Jim