Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 6:44 PM
      There were 10 episodes, and I think the host said the Otto house was the
      last one, they were downloaded directly from their website. Worst comes
      to worst, let me know and I'll burn and mail them all to you. My wife
      really likes the houses and the civilian stories, she's working on a
      genealogy of the Clipps now, of the Clipp house fame, it's an ongoing
      project to prove how large the Clipp house was during the battle. Long
      story.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4 7:14 PM
        Dave;

        Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
        on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
        House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
        space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
        rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
        from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.

        My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
        structure.

        Hope this helps??????

        PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5 10:18 AM
          Two episodes are online at:

          http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5 1:01 PM
            Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
            thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
            convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
            house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
            down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
            There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
            house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
            in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
            family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
            find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
            (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
            histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
            against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
            area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

            But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

            Dave
            (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5 1:52 PM
              Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
              They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
              covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
              obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
              good quality, well worth downloading.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5 6:43 PM
                Dave,

                I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
                Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
                couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
                Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
                Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

                When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
                found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
                might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

                What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
                the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
                was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
                include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
                dwelling in September 1862.

                Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                Dave
                (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > Dave;
                >
                > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
                >
                > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                > structure.
                >
                > Hope this helps??????
                >
                > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

              • Jim Rosebrock
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                  Everyone

                  Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

                  Jim