Re: Otto House and farm.

  • Stu
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
      I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago. I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!

      > Stu,
      >
      > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm," pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through the bookstore.
      >
      > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
      > >
      > > Stu

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
        Stu,
        You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
        was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
        series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
        Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.

        Dave McGowan

        On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:

        > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
        > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
        > <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Stu,
        > >
        > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
        > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
        > the bookstore.
        > >
        > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
        > >
        > > Larry
        > >
        > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in
        > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
        > > >
        > > > Stu

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
          Stu,
          Not to belabor the point, but you may want to check HABS for more
          information on the Otto house and other Sharpsburg houses.
          Go to HABS through search, then the state, then Washington County to
          find all the houses, and the pictures Keven used in his book. This link
          MAY work:

          http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?hh:60:./temp/~ammem_IAb6:

          Dave

          On 7/4/2011 8:27 PM, Dave wrote:
          > Stu,
          > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
          > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
          > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
          > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
          >
          > Dave McGowan
          >

          > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
          >> I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
          >> I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
          >>
          >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          >> <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
          >> <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
          >>> Stu,
          >>>
          >>> There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
          >> pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
          >> the bookstore.
          >>> For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
          >>>
          >>> Larry
          >>>
          >>> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          >> addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

        • Stu
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
            I bet I'll find these on the 'net somewhere. What would be the episode number?

            > Stu,
            > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
            > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
            > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
            > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
            >
            > Dave McGowan
            >

            > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
            > >
            > > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
            > > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
            > >
            > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
            > > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Stu,
            > > >
            > > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
            > > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
            > > the bookstore.
            > > >
            > > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
            > > >
            > > > Larry
            > > >
            > > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com

            > > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
              There were 10 episodes, and I think the host said the Otto house was the
              last one, they were downloaded directly from their website. Worst comes
              to worst, let me know and I'll burn and mail them all to you. My wife
              really likes the houses and the civilian stories, she's working on a
              genealogy of the Clipps now, of the Clipp house fame, it's an ongoing
              project to prove how large the Clipp house was during the battle. Long
              story.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                Dave;

                Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.

                My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                structure.

                Hope this helps??????

                PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

              • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Two episodes are online at:

                  http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                    thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                    convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                    house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                    down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                    There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                    house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                    in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                    family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                    find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                    (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                    histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                    against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                    area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                    But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                    Dave
                    (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                      Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
                      They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
                      covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
                      obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
                      good quality, well worth downloading.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                        Dave,

                        I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
                        Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
                        couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
                        Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
                        Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

                        When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
                        found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
                        might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

                        What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
                        the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
                        was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
                        include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
                        dwelling in September 1862.

                        Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                        thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                        convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                        house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                        down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                        There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                        house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                        in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                        family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                        find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                        (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                        histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                        against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                        area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                        But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                        Dave
                        (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                        On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                        > Dave;
                        >
                        > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                        > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                        > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                        > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                        > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                        > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
                        >
                        > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                        > structure.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps??????
                        >
                        > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

                      • Jim Rosebrock
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                          Everyone

                          Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

                          Jim