Re: [TalkAntietam] Gould Collection

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2002
      Tom,

      I consulted D Scott Hartwig's 'The Battle of Antietam and the
      Maryland Campaign of 1862: A Bibliography". Unfortunately,
      there is really no real info that you don't already know:

      ----------
      Gould, John Mead. _History of the First - Tenth - Twenty Ninth Maine Regiment_,
      Portland: Stephen Berry, 1871

      Gould was the adjutant of the 10th Maine at Antietam. He consulted
      many fellow veterans in writing this history.

      ---------

      TRL

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
        In a message dated 04/18/2002 8:52:32 PM EST, tlivesey@...
        writes:
        << I consulted D Scott Hartwig's 'The Battle of Antietam and the Maryland
        Campaign of 1862: A Bibliography". Unfortunately, there is really no real
        info that you don't already know: >>

        Greetings, Todd!

        In THE ANTIETAM CAMPGAIGN (edited by Gary Gallagher) there is an article by
        Robert Krick on Bloody Lane. His footnote #2 on page 249 states:

        "John Gould, second only to Carman as a contemporary authority on the battle,
        carefully paced the Bloody Lane. He calculated its length from the center of
        the Hagerstown Pike to the bend as 1,078 feet, and the further extent to the
        right angle turn (where the tower now stands) as 1,488 feet, or 855 yards
        total. Gould's survey also detailed where stone fences underpinned the wooden
        rails".

        Being compared to Carman and the likely detail of this study has created my
        interest is this work.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
          Tom and Todd,

          Krick has some very interesting information in his footnotes to
          his essay. I have the same volume and was surprised at the depth
          of the material which he covered.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
          > front doors, drawers, briefcases,
          > padlocks, and more. On sale now!
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/ehaLqB/Fg5DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
            Tom Shay,
            Carman has some material from Gould in his papers, and they corresponded with
            each other. I have not seen the note quoted by Krick, but then I have not read
            all of it yet either.
            Tom Clemens