South Mountain

  • colliszouave@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
      Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
        Mike;

        Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
        Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
        Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
        Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
          Mike
          You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
          is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
          has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
          consideration.
          Regards
          Jim Rosebrock

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
              Mike;

              You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
              have much useful information as well.