Re: Otto House and farm.

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2011
      Stu,

      There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm," pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through the bookstore.

      For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <sjz1207@...> wrote:

      > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
      >
      > Stu

    • Stu
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
        I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago. I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!

        > Stu,
        >
        > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm," pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through the bookstore.
        >
        > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
        >
        > Larry
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
        > >
        > > Stu

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
          Stu,
          You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
          was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
          series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
          Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.

          Dave McGowan

          On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:

          > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
          > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
          > <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Stu,
          > >
          > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
          > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
          > the bookstore.
          > >
          > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
          > >
          > > Larry
          > >
          > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in
          > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
          > > >
          > > > Stu

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
            Stu,
            Not to belabor the point, but you may want to check HABS for more
            information on the Otto house and other Sharpsburg houses.
            Go to HABS through search, then the state, then Washington County to
            find all the houses, and the pictures Keven used in his book. This link
            MAY work:

            http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?hh:60:./temp/~ammem_IAb6:

            Dave

            On 7/4/2011 8:27 PM, Dave wrote:
            > Stu,
            > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
            > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
            > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
            > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
            >
            > Dave McGowan
            >

            > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
            >> I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
            >> I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
            >>
            >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            >> <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
            >> <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
            >>> Stu,
            >>>
            >>> There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
            >> pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
            >> the bookstore.
            >>> For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
            >>>
            >>> Larry
            >>>
            >>> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            >> addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

          • Stu
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
              I bet I'll find these on the 'net somewhere. What would be the episode number?

              > Stu,
              > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
              > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
              > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
              > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
              >
              > Dave McGowan
              >

              > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
              > >
              > > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
              > > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
              > >
              > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
              > > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Stu,
              > > >
              > > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
              > > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
              > > the bookstore.
              > > >
              > > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
              > > >
              > > > Larry
              > > >
              > > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com

              > > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                There were 10 episodes, and I think the host said the Otto house was the
                last one, they were downloaded directly from their website. Worst comes
                to worst, let me know and I'll burn and mail them all to you. My wife
                really likes the houses and the civilian stories, she's working on a
                genealogy of the Clipps now, of the Clipp house fame, it's an ongoing
                project to prove how large the Clipp house was during the battle. Long
                story.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                  Dave;

                  Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                  on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                  House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                  space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                  rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                  from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.

                  My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                  structure.

                  Hope this helps??????

                  PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

                • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Two episodes are online at:

                    http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                      Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                      thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                      convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                      house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                      down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                      There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                      house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                      in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                      family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                      find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                      (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                      histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                      against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                      area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                      But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                      Dave
                      (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                        Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
                        They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
                        covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
                        obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
                        good quality, well worth downloading.

                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                          Dave,

                          I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
                          Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
                          couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
                          Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
                          Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

                          When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
                          found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
                          might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

                          What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
                          the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
                          was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
                          include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
                          dwelling in September 1862.

                          Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                          thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                          convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                          house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                          down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                          There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                          house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                          in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                          family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                          find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                          (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                          histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                          against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                          area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                          But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                          Dave
                          (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                          On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                          > Dave;
                          >
                          > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                          > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                          > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                          > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                          > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                          > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
                          >
                          > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                          > structure.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps??????
                          >
                          > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

                        • Jim Rosebrock
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                            Everyone

                            Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

                            Jim