RE: [TalkAntietam] Otto House and farm.

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2011
      Suggest you contact the Antietam NBP Visitor Center with your request. Also,
      you might want to check out Kathleen Ernst's book "Too Scared to Cry:
      Maryland Civilians during the Civil War". (I think that is the correct
      title; at least Too Scared to Cry is!)

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2011
        Stu,

        There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm," pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through the bookstore.

        For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <sjz1207@...> wrote:

        > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
        >
        > Stu

      • Stu
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
          I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago. I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!

          > Stu,
          >
          > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm," pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through the bookstore.
          >
          > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
          >
          > Larry
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
          > >
          > > Stu

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
            Stu,
            You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
            was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
            series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
            Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.

            Dave McGowan

            On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:

            > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
            > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
            >
            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
            > <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Stu,
            > >
            > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
            > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
            > the bookstore.
            > >
            > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
            > >
            > > Larry
            > >
            > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stu" <sjz1207@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Where I can find information on the Otto House and Farm in
            > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?
            > > >
            > > > Stu

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
              Stu,
              Not to belabor the point, but you may want to check HABS for more
              information on the Otto house and other Sharpsburg houses.
              Go to HABS through search, then the state, then Washington County to
              find all the houses, and the pictures Keven used in his book. This link
              MAY work:

              http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/d?hh:60:./temp/~ammem_IAb6:

              Dave

              On 7/4/2011 8:27 PM, Dave wrote:
              > Stu,
              > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
              > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
              > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
              > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
              >
              > Dave McGowan
              >

              > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
              >> I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
              >> I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
              >>
              >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
              >> <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
              >>> Stu,
              >>>
              >>> There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
              >> pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
              >> the bookstore.
              >>> For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
              >>>
              >>> Larry
              >>>
              >>> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              >> addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

            • Stu
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                I bet I'll find these on the 'net somewhere. What would be the episode number?

                > Stu,
                > You might also want to check out the Otto House video that, I believe,
                > was aired on public tv in Hagerstown back in 2008. I have the entire
                > series, but the episodes are too large for email. They were done by
                > Keven Walker, the house guru at ANB. Excellent work.
                >
                > Dave McGowan
                >

                > On 7/4/2011 7:12 PM, Stu wrote:
                > >
                > > I did purchase the book on my visit to Antietam a couple of weeks ago.
                > > I found it immensely helpful. Thank you!
                > >
                > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "eighth_conn_inf"
                > > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Stu,
                > > >
                > > > There is a chapter in "Antietam Farmsteads" titled "John Otto Farm,"
                > > pages 99-107, which should help a lot. The book is available through
                > > the bookstore.
                > > >
                > > > For more detailed info, you could consider visiting the ANB library.
                > > >
                > > > Larry
                > > >
                > > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com

                > > addition to it's inhabitants at the time of the battle?

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                  There were 10 episodes, and I think the host said the Otto house was the
                  last one, they were downloaded directly from their website. Worst comes
                  to worst, let me know and I'll burn and mail them all to you. My wife
                  really likes the houses and the civilian stories, she's working on a
                  genealogy of the Clipps now, of the Clipp house fame, it's an ongoing
                  project to prove how large the Clipp house was during the battle. Long
                  story.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                    Dave;

                    Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                    on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                    House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                    space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                    rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                    from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.

                    My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                    structure.

                    Hope this helps??????

                    PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

                  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                      Two episodes are online at:

                      http://www.antpod.com/archive.html?podcast_id=50

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                        Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                        thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                        convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                        house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                        down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                        There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                        house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                        in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                        family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                        find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                        (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                        histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                        against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                        area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                        But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                        Dave
                        (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                          Tom and Stu, these are different segments than the ones I referred to.
                          They are newer and much more in depth, however the Otto farm is not
                          covered. I emailed ACTV to see if there were more episodes, and how to
                          obtain the existing ones. These new episodes are really excellent, and
                          good quality, well worth downloading.

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Dave,

                            I would suggest she contact the Antietam NBP Library... unfortunately the
                            Library is only open during the weekdays not weekends. The Library moved a
                            couple years ago from the basement of the Visitor Center to a rancher off
                            Maryland Rte 64. If you call the main number for the Antietam NBP (Visitor
                            Center), they might be able to give you the number for the Library.

                            When I was researching my historical fiction novel "None But Heroes", I
                            found much useful information about the Fourth NC in the Library, so you
                            might find some items of value about the Clipp farmstead etc.

                            What you mention about the lack of regimental or veteran commentary about
                            the farmstead at the time of the battle is worth looking into. If the house
                            was not there at the time of the battle, then why do the Carman/Cope maps
                            include it? Personally, I think it was a small log cabin or log/wood frame
                            dwelling in September 1862.

                            Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
                            thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
                            convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
                            house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
                            down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
                            There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
                            house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
                            in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
                            family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
                            find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
                            (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
                            histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
                            against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
                            area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

                            But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

                            Dave
                            (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)

                            On 7/4/2011 10:14 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                            > Dave;
                            >
                            > Not sure if this will help you, but while I can not put my finger
                            > on it, I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the Clipp
                            > House was a tenement house on the overall Roulette Farm. The
                            > space where the house stood is still visible... it is a small
                            > rectangular plot right adjacent to the Lane about halfway or so
                            > from the Bloody Lane to the Roulette House.
                            >
                            > My best guess is that it would have been a simple log cabin type
                            > structure.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps??????
                            >
                            > PS: Please clip long posts since it cuts down on bandwidth!!!

                          • Jim Rosebrock
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 6, 2011
                              Everyone

                              Antietam National Battlefield has replaced the old "Lincoln's Antietam Visit" with an up to date 30-minute version of the battlefield overview similar to the one-hour movie at noon.  It is a vast improvement and started running last week.  For more details, check out my post at South From the North Woods.

                              Jim