Re: Clipp House?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
      The Clipp house was there at least until 1895, although I believe it was there through at 1906. It was a single-story, East-facing structure with a chimney on the North side of the house.

      > Dave,
      >
      > Tom Clemens is an authority on the battle, having spent more than two
      > decades of study on it. I hope he will also respond.
      >
      > From what I have read about the Clipp House (BTW the site of the structure
      > is roughly where that rectangular patch of land just alongside the Rulett
      > [that was also how the Roulette name was spelt] Lane about halfway between
      > the Sunken Road (aka Hog Trough Road) and the Roulette farm), it was a
      > tenement farm house, and not a very substantial one at that. I would not be
      > surprised at all to have it "cat-holed" by artillery shells contesting the
      > Federal advance! Also if you carefully look at the Cope/Carman maps of the
      > field, you should see an indication of the location of the structure.
      > Finally I have the McElfresh watercolor map of Antietam and it shows the
      > Clipp House as well.
      >
      > I wonder if the two individuals you mentioned in your post might be
      > confusing the Clipp House with a post war structure that was indeed two
      > stories?

      > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
      > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
      > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
        That's what it sounds like to me. Steve is taking his info from a period photograph of the Clipp house, from which, stretching a point, might be a story and a half, but certainly not two. Confusion of names and locations such as this are quite common actually, I have opies of letters from Alabamians in Willcox's brigade who say they fought in the Bloody Cornfield, and guys at the Miller House saying they saw Mansfield shot. They get names of places confused and assume they know what they're talking about. Not always reliable.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
          ...and then, of course, there are those folks who said they fought in the Iron Brigade...

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...> wrote:

          > That's what it sounds like to me. Steve is taking his info from a period photograph of the Clipp house, from which, stretching a point, might be a story and a half, but certainly not two. Confusion of names and locations such as this are quite common actually, I have opies of letters from Alabamians in Willcox's brigade who say they fought in the Bloody Cornfield, and guys at the Miller House saying they saw Mansfield shot. They get names of places confused and assume they know what they're talking about. Not always reliable.

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
            Which in thepost-war reunions often embraced the entire First Corps!