Gould Collection

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18 5:21 AM
      I am interested in what someone can tell me about the following work:

      JOHN M. GOULD COLLECTION OF PAPERS RELATING TO BATTLE OF ANTIETAM by John
      Gould.

      It is at Dartmouth. I am interested in knowing about it's quality, is it
      available elsewhere, etc. Chapter 18 is "The Bloody Lane" in which he even
      measured lengths of Reb line along the lane, etc. Any feedback appreciated!

      Tom Shay
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18 6:48 PM
        Tom,

        I consulted D Scott Hartwig's 'The Battle of Antietam and the
        Maryland Campaign of 1862: A Bibliography". Unfortunately,
        there is really no real info that you don't already know:

        ----------
        Gould, John Mead. _History of the First - Tenth - Twenty Ninth Maine Regiment_,
        Portland: Stephen Berry, 1871

        Gould was the adjutant of the 10th Maine at Antietam. He consulted
        many fellow veterans in writing this history.

        ---------

        TRL

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 3:53 AM
          In a message dated 04/18/2002 8:52:32 PM EST, tlivesey@...
          writes:
          << I consulted D Scott Hartwig's 'The Battle of Antietam and the Maryland
          Campaign of 1862: A Bibliography". Unfortunately, there is really no real
          info that you don't already know: >>

          Greetings, Todd!

          In THE ANTIETAM CAMPGAIGN (edited by Gary Gallagher) there is an article by
          Robert Krick on Bloody Lane. His footnote #2 on page 249 states:

          "John Gould, second only to Carman as a contemporary authority on the battle,
          carefully paced the Bloody Lane. He calculated its length from the center of
          the Hagerstown Pike to the bend as 1,078 feet, and the further extent to the
          right angle turn (where the tower now stands) as 1,488 feet, or 855 yards
          total. Gould's survey also detailed where stone fences underpinned the wooden
          rails".

          Being compared to Carman and the likely detail of this study has created my
          interest is this work.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19 4:59 PM
            Tom and Todd,

            Krick has some very interesting information in his footnotes to
            his essay. I have the same volume and was surprised at the depth
            of the material which he covered.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
            > front doors, drawers, briefcases,
            > padlocks, and more. On sale now!
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/ehaLqB/Fg5DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 19 8:44 PM
              Tom Shay,
              Carman has some material from Gould in his papers, and they corresponded with
              each other. I have not seen the note quoted by Krick, but then I have not read
              all of it yet either.
              Tom Clemens