RE: [TalkAntietam] West Woods: Cooke's Assault

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 1:31 PM
      Jim;

      That is what happened. Priest has it wrong.

      From: Dave <gewehr@...>
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] West Woods: Cooke's Assault
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, April 2, 2011, 2:25 AM

      Hello again,

      Second (hopefully not quite as dumb) question of the night. Looking at

      Cooke's assault out of the West Woods (27 NC and 3 Ark) across Mumma's

      field, do I have the facts straight? Priest states that they took off

      across the field, then Jackson rode into the woods and had the private

      climb the tree and count the flags, and Jackson decided then not to

      support the two regiments. It seems as if something is missing here.

      Did anyone order this, or was it really an "impetuous" move on their

      part? I figure they expected help on their left from Ransom, but was

      that designed as a coordinated move or did he just hope for a impulsive

      move on that side? On it's face, not knowing that much, it seems

      incredible that they would try such a move not knowing what was over the

      hill.

      Thanks for your patience.

      Dave McGowan

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 1:33 PM
        Dave;

        IIRC Cooke's assault as Longstreet requested was done to support the
        Confederates in the Sunken Road and totally independent of anything Ransom
        did.