Re: [TalkAntietam] West Woods: Cooke's Assault

  • Jim Rosebrock
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 5:56 AM
      According to Joseph Harsh in Taken at the Flood, Jackson's conversation with Private Hood of Co H 35 NC occurs later in the afternoon (say around 2PM) and was probably done as Jackson was considering how to implement Lee's directive for getting around the northern flank of the Union Army.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 7:55 AM
        Since Cooke's assault was made at around 11:45, and reached it's high
        water mark in front of Roulette's Lane at 12:15 (per Carman map), that
        means that my chronology is wrong. Since Harsh says that the tree
        climbing happened at 2:00, and Carman says the attack was ordered by
        Longstreet to support the sunken lane fight, who was supposed to support
        Cooke? Does Carman mean that Ransom was supposed to move east at the
        sound of the guns to support Cooke?

        Dave McGowan

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 1:31 PM
          Jim;

          That is what happened. Priest has it wrong.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2 1:33 PM
            Dave;

            IIRC Cooke's assault as Longstreet requested was done to support the
            Confederates in the Sunken Road and totally independent of anything Ransom
            did.