Re: [TalkAntietam] West Woods: Cooke's Assault

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 8:02 PM
      From Carman manuscript:

      This simultaneous charge of Ransom and Cooke, on either flank of Greene's line was not a concerted one, directed to be made at the same moment. Ransom, without orders charge to capture the guns, and Cooke, when he saw the guns coming into position had just received orders from Longstreet, who was engaged at the Sunken Road, to charge in conjunction with Cobb's Brigade on his right, on the flank of French's Division.

      Tom Shay – Cressona, PA

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 5:56 AM
        According to Joseph Harsh in Taken at the Flood, Jackson's conversation with Private Hood of Co H 35 NC occurs later in the afternoon (say around 2PM) and was probably done as Jackson was considering how to implement Lee's directive for getting around the northern flank of the Union Army.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 7:55 AM
          Since Cooke's assault was made at around 11:45, and reached it's high
          water mark in front of Roulette's Lane at 12:15 (per Carman map), that
          means that my chronology is wrong. Since Harsh says that the tree
          climbing happened at 2:00, and Carman says the attack was ordered by
          Longstreet to support the sunken lane fight, who was supposed to support
          Cooke? Does Carman mean that Ransom was supposed to move east at the
          sound of the guns to support Cooke?

          Dave McGowan

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2 1:31 PM
            Jim;

            That is what happened. Priest has it wrong.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 1:33 PM
              Dave;

              IIRC Cooke's assault as Longstreet requested was done to support the
              Confederates in the Sunken Road and totally independent of anything Ransom
              did.