West Woods: Cooke's Assault

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hello again,

      Second (hopefully not quite as dumb) question of the night. Looking at
      Cooke's assault out of the West Woods (27 NC and 3 Ark) across Mumma's
      field, do I have the facts straight? Priest states that they took off
      across the field, then Jackson rode into the woods and had the private
      climb the tree and count the flags, and Jackson decided then not to
      support the two regiments. It seems as if something is missing here.
      Did anyone order this, or was it really an "impetuous" move on their
      part? I figure they expected help on their left from Ransom, but was
      that designed as a coordinated move or did he just hope for a impulsive
      move on that side? On it's face, not knowing that much, it seems
      incredible that they would try such a move not knowing what was over the
      hill.

      Thanks for your patience.

      Dave McGowan
    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
        From Carman manuscript:

        This simultaneous charge of Ransom and Cooke, on either flank of Greene's line was not a concerted one, directed to be made at the same moment. Ransom, without orders charge to capture the guns, and Cooke, when he saw the guns coming into position had just received orders from Longstreet, who was engaged at the Sunken Road, to charge in conjunction with Cobb's Brigade on his right, on the flank of French's Division.

        Tom Shay – Cressona, PA

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          According to Joseph Harsh in Taken at the Flood, Jackson's conversation with Private Hood of Co H 35 NC occurs later in the afternoon (say around 2PM) and was probably done as Jackson was considering how to implement Lee's directive for getting around the northern flank of the Union Army.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
            Since Cooke's assault was made at around 11:45, and reached it's high
            water mark in front of Roulette's Lane at 12:15 (per Carman map), that
            means that my chronology is wrong. Since Harsh says that the tree
            climbing happened at 2:00, and Carman says the attack was ordered by
            Longstreet to support the sunken lane fight, who was supposed to support
            Cooke? Does Carman mean that Ransom was supposed to move east at the
            sound of the guns to support Cooke?

            Dave McGowan

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
              Jim;

              That is what happened. Priest has it wrong.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
                Dave;

                IIRC Cooke's assault as Longstreet requested was done to support the
                Confederates in the Sunken Road and totally independent of anything Ransom
                did.