RE: [TalkAntietam] Bloody Lane Terrain

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      Dave,

      To best of my knowledge, the northern edge of the Sunken Road (for most
      part) either bordered on a cornfield or a clover pasture. The portion in
      front of a good portion of Rodes Brigade was, IIRC, mostly cornfield or
      pasture. The immediate terrain before the men of Anderson's Carolinians (and
      then those of Wright and Posey) was clover pasture.

      Any "brush" there was (which I doubt there would have been) would be
      confined just to where the stone/wood or Virginia "creeper" farm fencing
      would be found.

      Hope this helps? BTW you might want to contact Brian Baracz, one of the
      interpretive rangers at Antietam NBP and ask him that question.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011

        I should have checked Carman-Cope before writing this. As you said, all
        but the field in front of the far western part of the lane was pasture,
        and livestock are the best weedeaters around. I will check with Brian,
        though. Appreciate the help.

        Dave

        On 4/1/2011 9:45 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Dave,
        >
        > To best of my knowledge, the northern edge of the Sunken Road (for most
        > part) either bordered on a cornfield or a clover pasture. The portion in
        > front of a good portion of Rodes Brigade was, IIRC, mostly cornfield or
        > pasture. The immediate terrain before the men of Anderson's
        > Carolinians (and
        > then those of Wright and Posey) was clover pasture.
        >
        > Any "brush" there was (which I doubt there would have been) would be
        > confined just to where the stone/wood or Virginia "creeper" farm fencing
        > would be found.
        >
        > Hope this helps? BTW you might want to contact Brian Baracz, one of the
        > interpretive rangers at Antietam NBP and ask him that question.

        > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
        > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
        > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

      • Michael Collesano
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
          This article may be of interest

          Michael J. Collesano, LL.M.
          Michael J. Collesano, LL.M., PC
          110 Wall Street, 11th Fl.
          New York, New York 10005
          T - (212) 227 - 6879
          F - (888) 716 - 2544

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
            Michael, I didn't see an attachment or URL for the article. Am I missing
            something?

            Thanks for the help!

            Dave

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
              Michael,

              The link did not come through....

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you have seen the reproduction.

                Michael

                > Michael, I didn't see an attachment or URL for the article. Am I missing
                > something?
                >
                > Thanks for the help!
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > On 4/1/2011 10:54 PM, Michael Collesano wrote:
                > >
                > > This article may be of interest
                > >
                > > Michael J. Collesano, LL.M.
                > > Michael J. Collesano, LL.M., PC
                > > 110 Wall Street, 11th Fl.
                > > New York, New York 10005
                > > T - (212) 227 - 6879
                > > F - (888) 716 - 2544

              • mjcllm
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011

                  I posted the same thing in both the Files section and the photo section (first album, 35th picture)

                  It allowed me to access it.

                  I can email direct if anyone sends their email

                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Mike,

                    Every time I try to log into Yahoo Groups it blocks me for some unknown
                    reason.....

                    If you can read my email plse send it privately.

                    I posted the same thing in both the Files section and the photo section
                    (first album, 35th picture)

                    It allowed me to access it.

                    I can email direct if anyone sends their email

                    Michael

                    > Michael,
                    >
                    > The link did not come through....

                    > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
                    > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport
                    > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
                    God. --Anonymous

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                      Thank you Mike, it confirms what everyone has already said. It would be
                      great to see that painting in person, I hope it goes on display sometime.

                      Dave McGowan

                      On 4/4/2011 10:02 AM, mjcllm wrote:

                      > Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The
                      > reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the
                      > National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and
                      > the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you
                      > have seen the reproduction.
                      >
                      > Michael

                    • mjcllm
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                        we had a tentative agreement in place to have the work donated to the National Parks Service (meaning they are willing to accept it) but no funds to have the piece acquired and restored. It needs a benefactor! It really is historic.

                        > Thank you Mike, it confirms what everyone has already said. It would be
                        > great to see that painting in person, I hope it goes on display sometime.
                        >
                        > Dave McGowan
                        >

                        > On 4/4/2011 10:02 AM, mjcllm wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The
                        > > reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the
                        > > National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and
                        > > the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you
                        > > have seen the reproduction.
                        > >
                        > > Michael

                      • mjcllm
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                          gerry

                          email me at mjcllm@... and I will send it direct

                          Michael

                          > Mike,
                          >
                          > Every time I try to log into Yahoo Groups it blocks me for some unknown
                          > reason.....
                          >
                          > If you can read my email plse send it privately.

                          > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
                          > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
                          > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                            Mike, I already sent it to Gerry.

                            From the looks of things, it might take an outside agency to buy,
                            restore and donate the piece to ANB. Might be a good SHAF project!

                            Dave McGowan

                            On 4/4/2011 4:33 PM, mjcllm wrote:

                            > gerry
                            >
                            > email me at mjcllm@... <mailto:mjcllm%40yahoo.com> and I will