Bloody Lane Terrain

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hello Everyone,

      I've been trying to do some prep work for a visit to the field during
      the first week of May, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how
      brushy the edges of the sunken lane were at the time of the battle. To
      a farmer's eye, that would be fence line that I might let grow up some
      if the height didn't interfere with the sun on my crop (especially the
      north side). The pictures in Frassanito don't bear this out, but maybe
      the brush may have been trampled or destroyed by fire. Any ideas or
      thoughts on this, and the impact it might have on line of sight for the
      Federals?

      Dave McGowan
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
        Dave,

        To best of my knowledge, the northern edge of the Sunken Road (for most
        part) either bordered on a cornfield or a clover pasture. The portion in
        front of a good portion of Rodes Brigade was, IIRC, mostly cornfield or
        pasture. The immediate terrain before the men of Anderson's Carolinians (and
        then those of Wright and Posey) was clover pasture.

        Any "brush" there was (which I doubt there would have been) would be
        confined just to where the stone/wood or Virginia "creeper" farm fencing
        would be found.

        Hope this helps? BTW you might want to contact Brian Baracz, one of the
        interpretive rangers at Antietam NBP and ask him that question.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011

          I should have checked Carman-Cope before writing this. As you said, all
          but the field in front of the far western part of the lane was pasture,
          and livestock are the best weedeaters around. I will check with Brian,
          though. Appreciate the help.

          Dave

          On 4/1/2011 9:45 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > To best of my knowledge, the northern edge of the Sunken Road (for most
          > part) either bordered on a cornfield or a clover pasture. The portion in
          > front of a good portion of Rodes Brigade was, IIRC, mostly cornfield or
          > pasture. The immediate terrain before the men of Anderson's
          > Carolinians (and
          > then those of Wright and Posey) was clover pasture.
          >
          > Any "brush" there was (which I doubt there would have been) would be
          > confined just to where the stone/wood or Virginia "creeper" farm fencing
          > would be found.
          >
          > Hope this helps? BTW you might want to contact Brian Baracz, one of the
          > interpretive rangers at Antietam NBP and ask him that question.

          > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
          > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
          > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • Michael Collesano
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
            This article may be of interest

            Michael J. Collesano, LL.M.
            Michael J. Collesano, LL.M., PC
            110 Wall Street, 11th Fl.
            New York, New York 10005
            T - (212) 227 - 6879
            F - (888) 716 - 2544

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
              Michael, I didn't see an attachment or URL for the article. Am I missing
              something?

              Thanks for the help!

              Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
                Michael,

                The link did not come through....

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                  Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you have seen the reproduction.

                  Michael

                  > Michael, I didn't see an attachment or URL for the article. Am I missing
                  > something?
                  >
                  > Thanks for the help!
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > On 4/1/2011 10:54 PM, Michael Collesano wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This article may be of interest
                  > >
                  > > Michael J. Collesano, LL.M.
                  > > Michael J. Collesano, LL.M., PC
                  > > 110 Wall Street, 11th Fl.
                  > > New York, New York 10005
                  > > T - (212) 227 - 6879
                  > > F - (888) 716 - 2544

                • mjcllm
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011

                    I posted the same thing in both the Files section and the photo section (first album, 35th picture)

                    It allowed me to access it.

                    I can email direct if anyone sends their email

                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                      Mike,

                      Every time I try to log into Yahoo Groups it blocks me for some unknown
                      reason.....

                      If you can read my email plse send it privately.

                      I posted the same thing in both the Files section and the photo section
                      (first album, 35th picture)

                      It allowed me to access it.

                      I can email direct if anyone sends their email

                      Michael

                      > Michael,
                      >
                      > The link did not come through....

                      > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
                      > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport
                      > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
                      God. --Anonymous

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                        Thank you Mike, it confirms what everyone has already said. It would be
                        great to see that painting in person, I hope it goes on display sometime.

                        Dave McGowan

                        On 4/4/2011 10:02 AM, mjcllm wrote:

                        > Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The
                        > reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the
                        > National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and
                        > the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you
                        > have seen the reproduction.
                        >
                        > Michael

                      • mjcllm
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                          we had a tentative agreement in place to have the work donated to the National Parks Service (meaning they are willing to accept it) but no funds to have the piece acquired and restored. It needs a benefactor! It really is historic.

                          > Thank you Mike, it confirms what everyone has already said. It would be
                          > great to see that painting in person, I hope it goes on display sometime.
                          >
                          > Dave McGowan
                          >

                          > On 4/4/2011 10:02 AM, mjcllm wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Sorry. I uploaded the article to the photo and the files section. The
                          > > reproduction of the painting appeared in the entrance hall of the
                          > > National Park Service site. My client has half of the huge work and
                          > > the Park Service has the other half. Its quite breathaking. I hope you
                          > > have seen the reproduction.
                          > >
                          > > Michael

                        • mjcllm
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                            gerry

                            email me at mjcllm@... and I will send it direct

                            Michael

                            > Mike,
                            >
                            > Every time I try to log into Yahoo Groups it blocks me for some unknown
                            > reason.....
                            >
                            > If you can read my email plse send it privately.

                            > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on one's
                            > mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to
                            > any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                          • Dave
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                              Mike, I already sent it to Gerry.

                              From the looks of things, it might take an outside agency to buy,
                              restore and donate the piece to ANB. Might be a good SHAF project!

                              Dave McGowan

                              On 4/4/2011 4:33 PM, mjcllm wrote:

                              > gerry
                              >
                              > email me at mjcllm@... <mailto:mjcllm%40yahoo.com> and I will