Dovenberger Mill

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 4:53 PM
      Does anyone know off the top of his head the location of the Dovenberger Mill at Mercersville? Tischler mentions in his Harpers Ferry book (pp. 146, 184) that the mill may have been the one the column passed and where it skirmished with some Rebels.

      The Taggart Map only shows one Dovenberger near Mercersville but a few "Dovenbargers." The waterpowered mill must have been near a stream unless it got water from the Potomac but there is no stream shown on the map on Dovenberger's land.

      Larry
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8 7:01 PM
        Larry,
        As you probably know, the stream flows down into the Potomac along the Taylor's Landing road, or whatever that road is that leads from the Mondell intersection down to the canal. I believe the mill was along this run, probably down by the canal. Alternatively, there is a structure farther up the slope which looks like it might have been a mill. Will try to look at it in the next couple days.
        ________________________________
        Does anyone know off the top of his head the location of the Dovenberger Mill at Mercersville? Tischler mentions in his Harpers Ferry book (pp. 146, 184) that the mill may have been the one the column passed and where it skirmished with some Rebels.

        The Taggart Map only shows one Dovenberger near Mercersville but a few "Dovenbargers." The waterpowered mill must have been near a stream unless it got water from the Potomac but there is no stream shown on the map on Dovenberger's land.

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9 5:09 AM
          Thanks Tom,

          I will go there on my 26 March HF escape drive and check that area.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9 5:12 AM
            Or even after the SHAF workday this Sat.

            Larry