Crystal Springs Hospital Geeting Rd

  • Troy Cool
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2011
      Can anyone help me in beginning research on the Hospital and the farm in general.  It was the Crystal Springs Hospital AKA the Geeting hospital?  All help will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks!
      Troy

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
        Hi Troy,
        The farm was originally part of the Geeting family tract, the three brothers emigrating from Germany. Two kept their name as Geuting, but one changed to it Keedy, hence the town name. They arrived in the late 1700's. By the Civil War the farm was known as Crytal Spring Farm and was indeed a large Union hospital after the battle. It was owned by Bishop john Russel, who had marrid into the Geeting family. He was affiliated with the United Brethren in Christ Church, which became the Evangelical United Brethren, which married the Methodist Church in 1968 and is now the United Methodist Church. The house at eh four-way stop was own by George Adam Geeting, who was a ancestor of Russel, and founder of the UBC Church. John Schildt's Antietam Hospitals has a section on it. John Nelson's As Grain Before the Reaper also has a section on it.
        Whenever we ge together I'll share all this with you, and I am thrilled about all this.

      • troyacool@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
          Tom- Many Thanks! Reading over some of Schildt's "Drums" and will pick up the others asap. Appreciate the info, once we are in I'll let everyone know. We also have to replace the hospital sign!

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
            Okay, remind me as I have blanks in the garage and need to replace some in Shepherdston anyway.