CWT Park Day 2 April 2011

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4 6:54 AM
      I just received an e-mail about the Civil War Trust's Park Day--here is the link:

      http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/events/park-day/

      Here is the info for Antietam:

      Meeting place: Antietam National Battlefield Visitor Center

      Meeting time: 8:45 AM

      Planned Activities Trash cleanup, tree planting, invasive plant removal

      CONTACT INFO
      Name Debbie Cohen
      Phone 301-432-2243 x13
      Email debbie_cohen@...

      ALTERNATE DATE
      Rain date Saturday, April 9, 2011

      Larry
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4 8:59 AM
        Thanks Larry. Save Historic AntietamFoundation will be holding our Work Day at Antietam on March 12, meeting at 9 in the parking lot. We may complete the clearing of Piper Lane and fncing it which we began in Novemeber.

        I just received an e-mail about the Civil War Trust's Park Day--here is the link:

        http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/events/park-day/

        Here is the info for Antietam:

        Meeting place: Antietam National Battlefield Visitor Center

        Meeting time: 8:45 AM

        Planned Activities Trash cleanup, tree planting, invasive plant removal

        CONTACT INFO
        Name Debbie Cohen
        Phone 301-432-2243 x13
        Email debbie_cohen@...<mailto:debbie_cohen%40nps.gov>

        ALTERNATE DATE
        Rain date Saturday, April 9, 2011

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4 9:54 AM

          I plan on being there on 12 March; finishing the Piper Lane completely would be
          great. I think you said some folks have been working on it since we made our
          beginning at the last workday--as I remember there was still much to do.

          Larry

          ________________________________

          Rain date Saturday, April 9, 2011

        • Troy Cool
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2011
            Can anyone help me in beginning research on the Hospital and the farm in general.  It was the Crystal Springs Hospital AKA the Geeting hospital?  All help will be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks!
            Troy

          • Thomas G. Clemens
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
              Hi Troy,
              The farm was originally part of the Geeting family tract, the three brothers emigrating from Germany. Two kept their name as Geuting, but one changed to it Keedy, hence the town name. They arrived in the late 1700's. By the Civil War the farm was known as Crytal Spring Farm and was indeed a large Union hospital after the battle. It was owned by Bishop john Russel, who had marrid into the Geeting family. He was affiliated with the United Brethren in Christ Church, which became the Evangelical United Brethren, which married the Methodist Church in 1968 and is now the United Methodist Church. The house at eh four-way stop was own by George Adam Geeting, who was a ancestor of Russel, and founder of the UBC Church. John Schildt's Antietam Hospitals has a section on it. John Nelson's As Grain Before the Reaper also has a section on it.
              Whenever we ge together I'll share all this with you, and I am thrilled about all this.

            • troyacool@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
                Tom- Many Thanks! Reading over some of Schildt's "Drums" and will pick up the others asap. Appreciate the info, once we are in I'll let everyone know. We also have to replace the hospital sign!

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
                  Okay, remind me as I have blanks in the garage and need to replace some in Shepherdston anyway.