RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Special Orders 223 and 224

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2011
      Larry;

      I think you will find Harsh's comments regarding that phase of the campaign
      in TATF to be of interest as bearing upon this counter-factual.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2011
        For some reason I saw Gerry's comment, but not Larry's .

        I disagree with the concept of McClellan dallying about SO 191.
        He received it approx. 10 -11 in the morning, authenticated by Pittman. He already had troops marching that day, but this intell gave him pause, not encouragement. He knew Lee was divided already, columns reported marching noth and south, Halleck's warnings about CS guys crossing the Potomac to attack DC, etc. 191 narrowed that front to Harpers Ferry and Hagerstown. No numbers attached, and talk of "commands" detached but rejoining "the main body at Boonsboro or Hagerstown." This suggests a large army, even though divided, it still has a main body. We know that was small, but McClellan didn't. And please don't get into the psycho-babble Sears "McClellan is timid" crap, I have looked and NOBODY gave Mac a number smaller than 75K. Top figure was 150K. You're only as good as you intell.
        So after receiving 191 and digesting it, McClellan asked Pleasonton to verify it. This was intercepted intell, and SOP is to verify by another source. Pleasonton replied around 6:30 and McClellan issued his orders for attack shortly after. In fact, 2 Ninth Corps division moved into Middletown Valley during the night, refuting the idea that nobody was marching that day, or night.
        Finally, even if McClellan had been imbued with the foresight of a mystic and the combativenes of a Prussian and pushed his corps recklessly forward at noon, Hagan's Gap on Catoctin was held by Reb cavalry & artillery until mid-afternoon, no matter how many troops were moving toward it. With a start from Catoctin at approx. 3:00, no real attack could be launched by darkness at South Mt. I just don't see the dallying.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@...>