Re: [TalkAntietam] Limekiln Road

  • Larry Freiheit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
      Thanks for that update Tom--were you on a scouting mission for your vol. 2?

      Is it your belief that the escape column used that road? I plan on driving the
      area in March--or earlier weather and time permitting. Carman I recall believed
      that was the road but he also questioned whether the column actually went over
      Middle Bridge vice Lower Bridge. I think the road network then could have
      allowed the column to go further north then over the future Burnside Bridge as
      only once account suggested. The majority of the accouts point to the Antietam
      Furnace Bridge.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
        Larry,
        I haven't looked at it in so long I would be hard pressed to tell you off-hand. They certainly tangled with Confederate pickets somewhere near the Furnace bridge, but how they arrived there is unclear to me. Too busy working on Vol. II to go back right now.