RE: [TalkAntietam] Limekiln Road

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2011
      Larry,
      I just drove it last Sunday, parts of it are distinctly one lane, and yes, dirt. The road network there has changed since 1862 for sure. John Frye tells me the HF road from Samples Manor to Nick Road did not exist, and Nick Road was a through road, not bifurcated as it is today.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
        Thanks for that update Tom--were you on a scouting mission for your vol. 2?

        Is it your belief that the escape column used that road? I plan on driving the
        area in March--or earlier weather and time permitting. Carman I recall believed
        that was the road but he also questioned whether the column actually went over
        Middle Bridge vice Lower Bridge. I think the road network then could have
        allowed the column to go further north then over the future Burnside Bridge as
        only once account suggested. The majority of the accouts point to the Antietam
        Furnace Bridge.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
          Larry,
          I haven't looked at it in so long I would be hard pressed to tell you off-hand. They certainly tangled with Confederate pickets somewhere near the Furnace bridge, but how they arrived there is unclear to me. Too busy working on Vol. II to go back right now.