Limekiln Road

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2011
      Has any driven Limekiln Road which shortcuts today's Harpers Ferry Road from near Dargan north along the Potomac to the Antietam Bridge at the Furnace?

      I think it is basically a one-lane road--is it paved?

      My theory based on maps of that era and participant accounts is that road is the one the HF cavalry escape column took on 14 Sept. 1862 to get to Sharpsburg.

      Thank you.

      Larry
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2011
        Larry,
        I just drove it last Sunday, parts of it are distinctly one lane, and yes, dirt. The road network there has changed since 1862 for sure. John Frye tells me the HF road from Samples Manor to Nick Road did not exist, and Nick Road was a through road, not bifurcated as it is today.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
          Thanks for that update Tom--were you on a scouting mission for your vol. 2?

          Is it your belief that the escape column used that road? I plan on driving the
          area in March--or earlier weather and time permitting. Carman I recall believed
          that was the road but he also questioned whether the column actually went over
          Middle Bridge vice Lower Bridge. I think the road network then could have
          allowed the column to go further north then over the future Burnside Bridge as
          only once account suggested. The majority of the accouts point to the Antietam
          Furnace Bridge.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
            Larry,
            I haven't looked at it in so long I would be hard pressed to tell you off-hand. They certainly tangled with Confederate pickets somewhere near the Furnace bridge, but how they arrived there is unclear to me. Too busy working on Vol. II to go back right now.