Re: [TalkAntietam] Relic from Hagerstown GAR post

  • Robert Moore
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
      Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all

      Robert
      Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
        I would be very weary about buying anything with the GAR tags. They are
        heavily faked and someone local has the emossing tool. All of these items
        are thought to be bad by local collectors as none of them can actually be
        traced to any substantial source.

        The canteen which you spoke of was probably faked. I had a friend email me
        about the canteen when it was up for sale. The leather strap wasn't right
        and he and I both agreed that that piece was a put together. The strap on
        the canteen was actually from a model 1909 canteen and it was undone and run
        through the strap.

        There are also marked swords floating around out there. I was threatened
        with a lawsuit for condeming the first sword when a week later an exact
        other one showed up on ebay. Because there are so many duplicates and Indian
        War items marked as Reno post items I do not mess with any of them as they
        have obviously been tampered with. There was even an armstrong shell listed
        as having come through the Reno Post. These shells weren't even in use at
        the time so I am not sure what that shell would have been doing there unless
        it was an O.T. import piece.

        It is perfectly legal to sell any GAR piece unless it is from a gravesite
        (i.e. marker). You would be hard pressed to find any information about
        whether the item was properly deaccesioned or stolen property. Most halls
        did sell everything when they weren't being used anymore and that is why the
        market is full of items from GAR halls.

        Ian Workman
        Packhorse Ford Relics

        On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:

        > Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all
        >
        > Robert
        > Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
          Ian and others...
          Thank you for the guidance on this issue. I will let the issue slide. A shame, as I was thinking about proposing a small exhibit in City Hall to commemorate the GAR hall that was within the predecessor building.

          I wonder who has the embossing tool.....hmmm. What kind of loon would fake GAR stuff?

          Steve Bockmiller

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> wrote:

          > I would be very weary about buying anything with the GAR tags. They are
          > heavily faked and someone local has the emossing tool. All of these items
          > are thought to be bad by local collectors as none of them can actually be
          > traced to any substantial source.
          >
          > The canteen which you spoke of was probably faked. I had a friend email me
          > about the canteen when it was up for sale. The leather strap wasn't right
          > and he and I both agreed that that piece was a put together. The strap on
          > the canteen was actually from a model 1909 canteen and it was undone and run
          > through the strap.
          >
          > There are also marked swords floating around out there. I was threatened
          > with a lawsuit for condeming the first sword when a week later an exact
          > other one showed up on ebay. Because there are so many duplicates and Indian
          > War items marked as Reno post items I do not mess with any of them as they
          > have obviously been tampered with. There was even an armstrong shell listed
          > as having come through the Reno Post. These shells weren't even in use at
          > the time so I am not sure what that shell would have been doing there unless
          > it was an O.T. import piece.
          >
          > It is perfectly legal to sell any GAR piece unless it is from a gravesite
          > (i.e. marker). You would be hard pressed to find any information about
          > whether the item was properly deaccesioned or stolen property. Most halls
          > did sell everything when they weren't being used anymore and that is why the
          > market is full of items from GAR halls.
          >
          > Ian Workman
          > Packhorse Ford Relics
          >
          > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all
          > >
          > > Robert
          > > Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW
          > >
          > > ________________________________

        • Ian Workman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2011
            Steve,

            As long as there is money to be made there will always be someone willing to
            risk their integrity for a little bit of money. I was forwarded and email
            from a friend who emailed the seller about that canteen. The seller said
            that he pulled the canteen because he realized it wasn't the real thing.
            Hopefully he didn't turn around and sell it once he pulled it off ebay.

            I believe that you guys should still do an exhibit. A lot of people don't
            know where the actual building was or what was in it. G.A.R. halls have a
            history of their own and it should be shared with others.

            Sincerely,
            Ian Workman
            Packhorse Ford Relics