Re: [TalkAntietam] Relic from Hagerstown GAR post

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
      Then you may want to have a look at this:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/original-anteitam-battlefield-relic-rebel-tin-canteen-/330519197798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf47ab866

      HArry

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
        Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all

        Robert
        Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
          I would be very weary about buying anything with the GAR tags. They are
          heavily faked and someone local has the emossing tool. All of these items
          are thought to be bad by local collectors as none of them can actually be
          traced to any substantial source.

          The canteen which you spoke of was probably faked. I had a friend email me
          about the canteen when it was up for sale. The leather strap wasn't right
          and he and I both agreed that that piece was a put together. The strap on
          the canteen was actually from a model 1909 canteen and it was undone and run
          through the strap.

          There are also marked swords floating around out there. I was threatened
          with a lawsuit for condeming the first sword when a week later an exact
          other one showed up on ebay. Because there are so many duplicates and Indian
          War items marked as Reno post items I do not mess with any of them as they
          have obviously been tampered with. There was even an armstrong shell listed
          as having come through the Reno Post. These shells weren't even in use at
          the time so I am not sure what that shell would have been doing there unless
          it was an O.T. import piece.

          It is perfectly legal to sell any GAR piece unless it is from a gravesite
          (i.e. marker). You would be hard pressed to find any information about
          whether the item was properly deaccesioned or stolen property. Most halls
          did sell everything when they weren't being used anymore and that is why the
          market is full of items from GAR halls.

          Ian Workman
          Packhorse Ford Relics

          On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:

          > Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all
          >
          > Robert
          > Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
            Ian and others...
            Thank you for the guidance on this issue. I will let the issue slide. A shame, as I was thinking about proposing a small exhibit in City Hall to commemorate the GAR hall that was within the predecessor building.

            I wonder who has the embossing tool.....hmmm. What kind of loon would fake GAR stuff?

            Steve Bockmiller

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> wrote:

            > I would be very weary about buying anything with the GAR tags. They are
            > heavily faked and someone local has the emossing tool. All of these items
            > are thought to be bad by local collectors as none of them can actually be
            > traced to any substantial source.
            >
            > The canteen which you spoke of was probably faked. I had a friend email me
            > about the canteen when it was up for sale. The leather strap wasn't right
            > and he and I both agreed that that piece was a put together. The strap on
            > the canteen was actually from a model 1909 canteen and it was undone and run
            > through the strap.
            >
            > There are also marked swords floating around out there. I was threatened
            > with a lawsuit for condeming the first sword when a week later an exact
            > other one showed up on ebay. Because there are so many duplicates and Indian
            > War items marked as Reno post items I do not mess with any of them as they
            > have obviously been tampered with. There was even an armstrong shell listed
            > as having come through the Reno Post. These shells weren't even in use at
            > the time so I am not sure what that shell would have been doing there unless
            > it was an O.T. import piece.
            >
            > It is perfectly legal to sell any GAR piece unless it is from a gravesite
            > (i.e. marker). You would be hard pressed to find any information about
            > whether the item was properly deaccesioned or stolen property. Most halls
            > did sell everything when they weren't being used anymore and that is why the
            > market is full of items from GAR halls.
            >
            > Ian Workman
            > Packhorse Ford Relics
            >
            > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Oh, yes... I'd say that would count as GAR property... marking and all
            > >
            > > Robert
            > > Sr. Vice Cdr., Dept of Md., SUVCW
            > >
            > > ________________________________

          • Ian Workman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2011
              Steve,

              As long as there is money to be made there will always be someone willing to
              risk their integrity for a little bit of money. I was forwarded and email
              from a friend who emailed the seller about that canteen. The seller said
              that he pulled the canteen because he realized it wasn't the real thing.
              Hopefully he didn't turn around and sell it once he pulled it off ebay.

              I believe that you guys should still do an exhibit. A lot of people don't
              know where the actual building was or what was in it. G.A.R. halls have a
              history of their own and it should be shared with others.

              Sincerely,
              Ian Workman
              Packhorse Ford Relics