RE: [TalkAntietam] Historical Magazine

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2011
      By any chance do you mean Maryland Historical Magazine? Never heard of Historical Magazine.
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
        The cite is from Priest, "Before Antietam," pg. 416:

        Historical Magazine, "General Pleasonton's Cavalry Division in the Maryland Campaign, September 1862," May, 1869, p. 291 +.

        Maybe I should e-mail him to clarify since I've not been able to find "Historical Magazine" anywhere on the net. Maybe Western MD Lib will have all the back issue of MD Hist Mag so I can check that issue unless you have it.

        BTW, I've read and enjoyed your book review of "Two Great Rebel Armies" in the spring 1990 issue of the "Maryland Historical Magazine."

        Thanks,
        Larry

        > By any chance do you mean Maryland Historical Magazine? Never heard of Historical Magazine.
        > ________________________________

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
          Sounds like MD Hist Mag, and I am not sure Western MD Room has back issues that far back. let me know ifthey don't I can get it on ILL.

          ________________________________
          The cite is from Priest, "Before Antietam," pg. 416:

          Historical Magazine, "General Pleasonton's Cavalry Division in the Maryland Campaign, September 1862," May, 1869, p. 291 +.

          Maybe I should e-mail him to clarify since I've not been able to find "Historical Magazine" anywhere on the net. Maybe Western MD Lib will have all the back issue of MD Hist Mag so I can check that issue unless you have it.

          BTW, I've read and enjoyed your book review of "Two Great Rebel Armies" in the spring 1990 issue of the "Maryland Historical Magazine."

          Thanks,
          Larry

          > By any chance do you mean Maryland Historical Magazine? Never heard of Historical Magazine.
          > ________________________________

        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
            Larry,

            I believe I may have found the article that your requested. It is online within “Historical Magazine” and (best of all) it is free.
            As the article begins on page 290, I believe it matches with Priest’s page citation of 291.
            Check out the link below and advise if it is what you seek.
            http://books.google.com/books?id=0vEOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=%22General+Pleasonton's+Cavalry+Division+in+the+Maryland+Campaign,+September+1862,%22&source=bl&ots=2c_XiJQc1E&sig=7GBTCL1Ona_2z0tkZGd1zhXoh8k&hl=en&ei=S1AyTdP9PMTngQfhoq3hCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22General%20Pleasonton's%20Cavalry%20Division%20in%20the%20Maryland%20Campaign%2C%20September%201862%2C%22&f=false
            Tom Shay – Cressona, PA
            The cite is from Priest, "Before Antietam," pg. 416:

            Historical Magazine, "General Pleasonton's Cavalry Division in the Maryland Campaign, September 1862," May, 1869, p. 291 +.

            Maybe I should e-mail him to clarify since I've not been able to find "Historical Magazine" anywhere on the net. Maybe Western MD Lib will have all the back issue of MD Hist Mag so I can check that issue unless you have it.

            BTW, I've read and enjoyed your book review of "Two Great Rebel Armies" in the spring 1990 issue of the "Maryland Historical Magazine."

            Thanks,
            Larry

            > By any chance do you mean Maryland Historical Magazine? Never heard of Historical Magazine.

          • Thomas G. Clemens

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011

                Great research, that must be the article! It appears to be basically the same as his OR report as Tom noted, vol. 19, pt. 1, 208 +, except his OR report added men he commended, a table vice a list of casualties, and arabic numbers vice text in some cases. I wonder why Mike Priest used it? He said he was not sure if it were the "Maryland Historical Magazine" but as you found, this must be it.

                Thanks again, Tom,

                Larry