Important Anniversary Today

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2011
      On this date, one of the major military personages of "the Woah" has an important anniversary. In his post-War Memoir, titled "From Manassas to Appomattox", James Longstreet writes:

      "I was born in Edgefield District, South Carolina, on the 8th of January, 1821. On the paternal side the family was from New Jersey; on my mother's side, from Maryland. My earliest recollections were of the Georgia side of Savannah River, and my school-days were passed there, but the appointment to West Point Academy was from North Alabama. My father, James Longstreet, the oldest child of William Longstreet and Hannah Fitzrandolph, was born in New Jersey. Other children of the marriage, Rebecca, Gilbert, Augustus B., and William, were born in Augusta, Georgia, the adopted home. Richard Longstreet, who came to America in 1657 and settled in Monmouth County, New Jersey, was the progenitor of the name on this continent. It is difficult to determine whether the name sprang from France, Germany, or Holland. On the maternal side, Grandfather Marshall Dent was first cousin of John Marshall, of the Supreme Court. That branch claimed to trace their line back to the Conqueror. Marshall Dent married a Magruder, when they migrated to Augusta, Georgia. Father married the eldest daughter, Mary Ann."

      If you are able to do so, please kindly lift a libation to-day in honour of the General's birthday. The General was the last surviving member of the high command of the Army of Northern Virginia at the time of his death on January 2, 1904.

      Happy 190th Birthday, Lieut.-General James Longstreet, Lee's "old war-horse"!