Superintendent John Howard retires

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
      From: Tom Shay

      I just saw this statement from John Howard posted on SHAF site....

      On December 31, I will be retiring from the National Park Service after 37 years of Service to the American people. It has been my honor and privilege that for 15 of those 37 years I have served as your Superintendent at Antietam. During that time we have done many wonderful things, and I am sure that his progress will continue in the future.

      I emphasize the fact that we have done this together; no one person can protect, preserve and interpret a special place like Antietam. We all must work as one to succeed. Over the years I have been blessed with the finest staff in the National Park Service. You can tell from the quality of the work they do, to them this is more than a job. They dedicate there days to remembrance and preservation, and each day they do their respective jobs to the best of their abilities.

      Our partners and friends who have supported the Battlefield over the years have given us the strength and will to move forward with landscape restoration and protection of our viewsheds. You, the members of SHAF, have always been there to support us. Another example of all of us working together as one. I thank you for your dedication to this place and for making my job much
      easier over these years.

      When I first joined the National Park Service I never dreamed of becoming a Superintendent, let alone the Superintendent of one of the most important Battlefields in American History. It has been an honor to serve you here, one which I will never forget.

      I wish you all much success and happiness.

      John Howard

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        Tom, et al.,
        I just returned from John's retirement dinner, and it was very well attended. Over 130 people were there, mostly from Antietam, but also many other folks too. Many people spoke about the many, many good things that have been accomplished under John's superintendency, like nearly 60% of the land in the boundery acquired, the walking tails, etc. John gave a a very sincere and moving speech about the wonderful peope at Antietam, which we all recognize, and his wife & family. He will be sorely missed, and I would not want to be the person who tries to fill his shoes.
        Thanks John, for all you've done for Antietam, the NPS and the people of this country.