Re: [TalkAntietam] Burnside's murky command

  • Matt Reardon
    Message 1 of 59 , Dec 20, 2010
      Troy,

      Soon after the Battle of Antietam (not sure of the exact date), Jacob Cox and
      his Kanawha Division are transfered out of the Army of the Potomac.  They are
      sent back to western Virginia, I believe.  Willcox will eventually command the
      IX Corps at Fredericksburg after Burnside is promoted to command of the Army.

      The IX Corps is sent into the Pleasant Valley in October.  Harpers Ferry is that
      general area.  If I remember correctly, the I and IX Corps were assigned to
      protect Harpers Ferry during that time.  My ggg grandfather was in the IX Corps
      at this time and I remember reading about this when I was first reading about
      his service.

      Matt Reardon

      3rd Great-Grandson of Michael Farley
      Co. G, 8th Connecticut Regiment
      1862-1865

      ________________________________
      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 21, 2010
        Thanks Larry!

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:31:09
        To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burnside's murky command

        From Eicher,"Civil War High Commands" command assignments for this period:

        IX Corps-AOP 20 July 1862 - 3 Aug. 1862; IX Corps Army of VA 3 Aug. 1862 - 3 Sept. 1862; Right Wing AOP 7 Sept. 1862 - 14 Sept. 1862; Left of the Line- AOP 14 Sept. 1862 - 19 Sept. 1862; Defenses of Harpers Ferry-AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Oct. 1862; AOP 13 Oct. 1862 - 26 Jan. 1863.

        Larry